• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Iceland?

Mammatus

A Squid With a Rocketship
Having been facinated by Norse and Icelandic music for the longest of time, I am always looking it up on Youtube.

Today, I stumbled across this song while listening to Icelandic and Norwegian folk music. What caught my attention was the fact that the tune closely resembles the tune of something I hum all the time. I've hummed that tune since I was real little.
While listening to this song, I got an image of a girl in her late teens early twenties, walking through a grassy field humming this exact tune. She was smiling, stopping to pick flowers every once in a while, twirling it with her fingers. It was sunny, and the field she was in was in a valley, surrounded by tall, rocky mountains. Several were snow capped. It seemed like it was Spring. The girl was wearing a knee/shin length off-white dress, and she had long blonde hair that was rather messy.

A couple of years ago, I was compelled to learn Icelandic, intensely so, and it resurfaces every now and then. I've never took the initiative to learn it, as I always end up not sticking with the languages :rolleyes: (I've only ever stuck with Russian and German. I'm learning Chinese, but I doubt that'll last).

So, I was wondering what ideas you guys might have, particularly concerning the piece of music I linked to. I can't seem to figure out when it was written.
 
I'm not sure about the song in particular, but I had the same reaction with a piece of Chinese folk music. I ended up doing a little dance while listening to it and I then googled for chinese folk dancing and found people doing the same dance!


so i'd say based on that it's a good lead if anything :D I'd continue down that track.. let us know what you find out
 
I may have this peculiar slight connection with that place - one time I had a dream of serving on a Cape Horn ship right after the memory of that dream, I saw a blue flag with a white cross. I had to do research and wanted to see what flag would have been around during my 19c lifetime that would have looked like that - it was Iceland's flag.


Also, when my U-Boat sank (due to still unknown causes) it was somewhere off of Iceland.


I still don't know what to think of this as of yet - I have some possible ideas, but until I get more info. - hopefully, it goes on the back burner. :)
 
Icelandic folk song


I happened to visit iceland a few years ago, and I bought a folk CD, and this song was also on it. The booklet, that was given to the CD writes this about the song:


"A song in the memory of the late Sveinbjörn Beinteinsson, a renowned poet and high priest of the old heathen religion. The metre is the old Icelandic <>."


I know, it is not too much, but it might help you to start a more thorough investigation.


By the way, I share your interest in Icelandic folk songs and culture.


Kind Regards,


Skarphedinn
 
Kapitan said:
I may have this peculiar slight connection with that place - one time I had a dream of serving on a Cape Horn ship right after the memory of that dream, I saw a blue flag with a white cross. I had to do research and wanted to see what flag would have been around during my 19c lifetime that would have looked like that - it was Iceland's flag.
Also, when my U-Boat sank (due to still unknown causes) it was somewhere off of Iceland.


I still don't know what to think of this as of yet - I have some possible ideas, but until I get more info. - hopefully, it goes on the back burner. :)
I don't have the slightest intention to discredit your memories, but it seems improbable to me, that was an Icelandic flag.


That time Iceland was in personal union with Denmark, and it was compusory to hoist the Dannebrog, the official flag of Denmark.


There was a scandal as late as in the 1910's, when an icelandic boat was confiscated by the Danes for hoisting the Icelandic flag, and its design was only finalised that decade. There was an argument in the Althing, that the original plans for the national flag (containing only blue and white) resembled the Greek flag too closely, so they were compelled to add some red to be easier to differentiate it from the Greek one.


I don't consider myself an expert in the topic, I have just read these stories, so it cannot be excluded, that a previous design was in use already in the 19th century, even if it was not approved by either the King of Denmark or the Althing.


I hope my comment has some added value...


Regards,


Skarphedinn
 
Back
Top