• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

just a dream (I think)

Raptor95

member
My son this morning told me that he had a dream where he was fighting with Russia (war). He said he was himself at the age he is. But he had 2 friends with him. But they are not friends he has now. He just knew they were his friends. He said that he thought he was an American but not sure. And that the war was in a desert. Does anyone know if Russia ever had a war with any country in a desert setting?

:confused: Of course this could just be a dream.
 
Hi Raptor:


I think Russia (then the Soviet Union) invaded Afghanistan in the 1970's or 1980's. I think some areas of Afghanistan are kind of desert-like.
 
Hi Raptor,


Here is a list of every war that Russia has been involved in, although for some reason, Afghanistan is not in there :confused:
 
People will be surprised to find that Russia (Stalin) and the United States had a less than tenuous relationship even before and just after the Second World War. Thousands of visiting Americans during the 30s were imprisoned, tortured and killed by Stalin's regime as evidenced here. American GIs who were secretly sent by the US government to fight Nazis with the Russians were imprisoned, and some were shot trying to escape. As many as 7,000 American Prisoners of war formerly held by the Nazis were then imprisoned by Stalin in the Gulags along with ensuing POWs from Korea, Vietnam and other undisclosed classified operations. View some interesting information here. Americans fought Russians in Vietnam and Afghanistan long before 9/11, and the US government has remained silent on the issue in order to maintain peace and to protect still classified operations. In one of several books about the Russian Gulags, including, "Gulag: A History" by Anne Applebaum there are stories of Americans escaping across the Gobi Desert, over the Himalaya Mountains and into India. However, these stories have been unsubstantiated, which merely means that anyone going through an apocryphal experience must find supporting evidence.


However, these stories bear inspection and consideration, because they collectively verify, in my mind, that Stalin was an even more horrendous beast than the world suspected.
 
I want to thank all of you. I feel so lucky to be on a forum with understanding people and acknowledgable too #G^H.


I have looked at the websites given and found them interesting. I know we all move on in this life and get caught up with day to day living that we forget what happened years ago.


I tryed asking my son more questions, but he did not want to talk about it. And just said "it was just a dream mom". So no luck there. But I am ok. I do not want to push him.


p.s. I will write this down and wait and see if he tells me any morte war drems he might have.


Again thank you


Raptor95
 
Nightrain - very interesting information!


I had no idea that Americans went to Stalin's Russia and were imprisoned, but I'm not surprised. Stalin was a sick and delusional man, more than 50 million people are said to have died during his regime and it's said that every family in Russia today have been affected in one way or another by this.


And yet, when I was in Russia in 2002, I learnt that the idolization of Stalin is well-alive and that some people desperately wants to go back, or at least have a new Father Stalin. That's the most scary part, but it also shows that history is never black/white. A person that someone thinks is a beast, someone else will think is a hero. Stalin brought the industrialization to Russia, he brought jobs, houses and education (however censured obviously), he brought a stable economy and a sense of unity and stability within the country. Some people are able to ignore the atrocities and praise him for these other things.


It is very fascinating to me, because it shows the complexity of history.
 
Back
Top