• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memories and music

PowerofSoul

Member
I would love to hear other peoples experience with music that can trigger memories.

For me, there is a good handful. Musical arrangements from the 17-18th century can always bring up a pretty vivid feel of that time. Orchestras playing Beethoven, etc. I happen to love this kind of music too.

Another example is The Beatles. Mostly between Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery tour, my visions of the early 1900s are triggered. Though, the majority of their work can do something for me in the way of PL memories.

I have many other examples but I think I've made my point. I think music is one of the best substances to help with memory; at least for me.

Thoughts?
 
PowerofSoul said:
I would love to hear other peoples experience with music that can trigger memories.
There was a significant book that I read many years ago that went into great detail regarding the effect of sound—especially music—on people and plants. Although some people regard such studies as pseudo-science, almost all of us can relate to the significance of music in memory retention and emotional stimuli; and many people will substantiate the effect that certain music has had on their own plants.


My own experience with music is significant and centers around the work of Handel, Mozart and other mid-18th Century European masters. I believe that the power of music can reach into the past and aid in the recovery of long forgotten memories—not only within this lifetime but in past lifetimes in which music played some significant part.
 
Doo-Wop. Hardcore doo-wop. Specifically "Maybe" by the Chantels. Give me a chord progression like C-Am-F-G7 and I'm there. All 50's rock sends me. "Rave On" was my battle cry in school long before I knew it was a Buddy Holly song. "Rock This Joint" by Bill Haley and his Comets fires me up like no other. I have a live recording from the 50's and it just nailed me. It drives my husband up the walls because he's a Heavy Metal/ Johnny Cash fan. I like Metal and Cash too, but if I've got te headphones on he knows I'm listening to Ron Holden, the Drifters, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Shirelles, Rosie and the Originals, and of course... Sha Na Na.


Crazy, man, crazy! :thumbsup::laugh:


I think this music, considered so subversive at the time, helped bring me through a coma in my most recent PL. My best friend snuck a small radio into the hospital and would play it quietly by my bedside. I don't think my family was ready to deal with the personality changes that came out of the coma, but my best friend stayed by my side. It becomes a hazy, sordid story after that, right up to my suicide in '66.
 
Louis Armstrong and early Jazz music strikes a chord with me, and also American folk music. The sounds seems familiar, yet also out-of-date. But it makes me feel like there is a part of me that once loved this music and it stirred my soul.
 
Music was the original trigger for me remembering bits of past lives as an adolescent. My favorite radio show was Thistle and Shamrock (which I still believe is on the air!). It featured Celtic folk music, and during one song I just saw this post in the middle of a Celtic-looking village. People were dancing around it, I think. My past life memories kind of took off from there. A few years ago I heard another episode of Thistle & Shamrock that would seem to confirm my past life name, believe it or not ... I wrote about it on this thread.
 
I think i have this with classical music... from 18th century and before...


Also did have some weird feelings with songs like ''video killed the radio star'' ...


I remember as a child listening to it, and it did feel like i was connecting with other atmosphers , dimensions, i don't know, but i had some feelings linked to it...


I'm listening to it again now, and i have to say, it gives me that special odd feeling again :-)
 
Back
Top