• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memories of England - 1600's

Hi Chris and Sunniva,


Things have slowed down since I had to head to LA for an exhibition and then a week vacation. Pam has also been very busy. I did have a very interesting experience when having body work done while in Southern California. After setting up the exhibit I was lucky enough to get an hour and a half massage which led to and experience.


....I was about 14 -15 and Samuel and Kayln where on the shore near the docks. An older woman in a light blue dress with a white apron and a little girl holding a wooden horse came to the shore with us to say goodbye. The woman brought a "wedge of bread" wrapped in cloth for us to take on our trip.


Another young man about our age walked up with a three tipped hat on his head. I was teasing him and tipped his hat trying to knock it off, and said something similar to "Blimey Joe"...only I am not sure it was blimey but something close to it. I was teasing him that he was pretending to be a statesman.


Then time and place shifted. Samuel and I were on the decks, braiding ropes. We where wrapping them tightly and securing them for future use. My hands hurt and were raw. It was a lot of work. We were sitting on the deck floor - one end was attached to a secure foundation (metal ring) and the rope was braided from there.


I was aware that we were deck hands, and did common chores for passage and training purposes. Low on the totem pole you might say. ;) I was thinking how much I wanted to sleep in the hammocks below deck. I was very tired.


I will ask Pam if she has anything to add - or has had any experiences lately. Thanks for asking.
 
Aww...I felt all emotional when I read about the saying goodbye and the bread...It was so little and meant so much. I believe I have some pl related 'goodbye'-traumas, but I also think I need a professional to help me with them. They're quite severe :rolleyes: :)


Thank you for sharing your memories, no matter how small and everyday-like, they're all piezes of a puzzle, and incredible in their own respects :) At least that's how I think.. :D
 
Thank you Sunniva. Since so many liked the portrait I did of Clara in another thread - perhaps you would like a peek at Kayln? :) I did a few of them seven years ago. Fun fun.


BTW - Pam says she has had memories of the hammocks below deck, where we slept. She said she saw them in rows - so evidently there were many deck hands or youth in training. :eek:
 
WOWO Deborah! Your artwork never ceases to amaze me! You are so so so talented in remembering and in art! :thumbsup: I'm reading anxiously for your next updates! :laugh:


VanH.
 
Wow! Another great portrait, Deborah!!!!


By the way, here's something I've always wanted to post but forgot (sigh) - I've been wondering all the time if the name you remember as "Kayln" could have been a variant of "Colin", perhaps pronounced with a strong accent that makes it sound like "Kayln". Just an idea I had because the name "Kayln" as such didn't exist in England at the time, but "Colin" sure did ;)


It's very interesting to read about your memories, you remember such a lot of details! Wow!
 
Wow, Deborah - what a fantastic portrait! He looks so real and full of personality :)


What you mentioned about the hammocks sounds right. I think I've seen a picture of the area below deck (maybe in a movie?) where they hang in rows. It wasn't only 'deck hands' sleeping there though, but also the older sailors :)
 
Thank you for the information Sunniva. :) I never would have thought that the other men on the ship slept there too. Very interesting.

...if the name you remember as "Kayln" could have been a variant of "Colin", perhaps pronounced with a strong accent that makes it sound like "Kayln". Just an idea I had because the name "Kayln" as such didn't exist in England at the time, but "Colin" sure did.
This is one of the things about past life memories that is frustrating. I heard the name. It was not spelled out for me. I was a five year old boy during the memory. The psychic Pam saw said he thought the name was Calvin -or something like that. It sure sounded like Kayln to me, but it could have been Kegan which is an English, Irish name or Colin as you suggested. In the thread - Does consciousness go to what it is familiar with - it's easy to see how and why odd old names can be so difficult to pin point.
 
You're right, Debora, if you're not familiar with a name you remember from a past life, you pick the one familiar to you that comes closest. That must have been the case for you, too. I'd forgotten that this was discussed in the thread you linked to, sorry!
 
It is possible you had an Irish name at the time, too. There's always:

CAOLÁN
Gender: Masculine


Usage: Irish


From Gaelic caol "slender" combined with the diminutive suffix án.


Cailean - (CAL-lan) (Gael) "child". Colin.


CAELAN m English - Anglicized form of CAOLÁN or CAOILFHIONN
I believe that they would be pronounced very similarly to K-LYNN :D
 
Hi Deborah,


I've just read through this thread, which is most interesting. :thumbsup:


With regard to this name Kayln. I agree with Ailish that it may be something other than English.


People back then tended to name their children after their parents, grandparents and godparents. Giving a child an unusual name might have met with suspicion and a priest might have refused to baptise a child who had been given an odd name. Most men had names like John, Robert, William, Thomas, Richard, Henry etc.


The Irish name Caolan is pronounced Keelan. Cailean is pronounced Calan as in Alan.


Keegan as a name did not exist in the 17th century. It is an more modern Anglicized corruption of MacAodhegain, pronounced Mok-ay-gon. By the way, the letter K does not exist in the Irish language. No true Irish names start with a K.


Colin seems the most likely and would have been pronounced Cohlin if you were of Irish descent. Here in Britain the o is pronounced as in Molly.


The three tipped hat was most likely a three cornered hat, also known as a tricorn. Popular in the late 17th and 18th centuries.


The small pub must have been an ale house or inn. The word pub or public house was not in use then.


'Blimey!' would have been in its original form of 'May God blind me if it isn't so!' This phrase was most often uttered when someone was accused of a crime they didn't commit. Punishments could be severe, even death, so people begged to be allowed to put their hand on the 'Good Book' and swear they did not do whatever they were accused of. This was often followed by "May God blind me if it isn't so", or "As God be my witness, I speak the truth", or "May I be struck down by the hand of God, if I be telling a lie/falsehood."


'Blimey!' is a later corruption still found today largely among Cockney people in London. Also found as 'Gaw blimey!" and Cor blimey!'


Hope I've been helpful.


Angelcat :)
 
Thank You Ailish and Angelcat.


It is validating to know that the hat I described was popular in the late 17th century. 1600's. ;) It is also nice to know the place were I worked was called an Inn. I called it an Inn but when describing were we were headed - downstairs and out of the attic in post # 1.....I called it a "pub" the drinking area - which is the only word I know for it. :) Thank you so much for the clarification! It really does help.


Is there a 17th century term for telling someone they look mighty fine or really good?


As far as the name goes; I only heard it - never wrote it or saw it in print. Cohlin seems to be most likely based on the information you gave. To me - it sounds like K-lynn with a heavy English accent.
 
Deborah said:
Is there a 17th century term for telling someone they look mighty fine or really good?
Yay, Mistress Deborah! Here be a few: :D


"Gadzooks! Wot a syte for sore eyes ye be!"


"Thou art lookinge as fyt as a fyddle!"


"Thou art lookinge as fyne as a yunge c*ck on a summer's morn!"


"Zounds! Ye be lookinge as fyne as fippence!"


"Thou art lookinge in fyne fettle!


And here be a 17th century proverbe for ye:


Forsooth! A whistlinge girl and a crowinge hen will both come to a very bad end!" :laugh:

Deborah said:
As far as the name goes; I only heard it - never wrote it or saw it in print. Cohlin seems to be most likely based on the information you gave. To me - it sounds like K-lynn with a heavy English accent.
I am not sure what you mean by heavy English accent. There are many different accents in England and were in the 1600s. Also, different dialects and even languages such as Welsh, Cornish etc. If you were living in Liverpool or thereabouts, the accent may have been particular to that area.


Angelcat :)
 
Ace, Angelcat! I love these and can hear them in my head very clearly. :D Where have you learned so much old English?


Karoliina
 
Thank you so much Angelcat. Your knowledge is appreciated very much. I did another meditation yesterday with Pam. In the meditation I happened to hear the name again and I think you are correct - it sounded like Colin with the British "o" sound. Such a small difference yet important.


Just sharing a bit - our meditation was fairly fruitful. We set out to experience exciting times in England when we knew each other. That seemed like a broad open door - or so we thought.


The exciting times ended up being us both listening to sailors tell tall tails from over seas and making fun of the strange people who frequented the Inn. Listening from a room upstairs to the sounds from another room and eaves dropping. The stink of that old Inn was horrendous. The garage hole in the back and the rats that scurried out to get scraps. UCK! I had taken the garbage out in a bag that was like a gunnysack and then I had to wash it to reuse. Hardly exciting but evidently made an impression. A big black man - dressed as a Moor with a head wrap and robe came into the Inn. I had never seen one before - so it was exciting to me.


My first shaving experience with a brush, hot cream and a straight razor. I was excited but also afraid I would cut myself as I attempted to shave about ten hairs. LOLOL


Probably the most exciting was walking on the wooden pier that creaked as we walked; an area where the ships came in and us taking a vow to travel the open seas ourselves. Which we did a little later on. The smell of spices, herbs, and people wearing outfits that were very foreign to us. Pam and I saw the similar things in this meditation - but from varied perspectives. Always a fascinating experience.


It was also interesting to me, that what we both experienced was not a famous event, or even the travels aboard. But the childhood, the wonder and the mystery of living during what was then - exciting times.
 
Karoliina said:
Ace, Angelcat! I love these and can hear them in my head very clearly. :D Where have you learned so much old English?
In past lives, of course! :laugh:


I also love history.


Angelcat :)
 
My first shaving experience with a brush, hot cream and a straight razor. I was excited but also afraid I would cut myself as I attempted to shave about ten hairs.
:laugh: :D For some reason - I can just see it! :laugh:


It sounds like you had a wonderful meditation with Pam. Fantastic that both of you went to the same place and experienced similar memories. I have to giggle when I think of the two of you wreaking havoc on the world-weary travellers….tehehehe


Thank you for the update – I really enjoyed reading along ;)
 
This thread is pretty old, and I have not brought up some of my past life memories in a while. So I thought I would bump this one up. Anyone else remember England?
 
Memories of the 1940's


Deborah, I too remember England, but at a more recent time, circa World War II (WWII).


Considering how many young men (and women) lost their lives on all sides during that era doesn’t surprise me one bit that I might have had a previous lifetime during that time.


And it stands to reason to have people with a fair amount of memories from that period of time, in fact I suspect (from intuitions and feelings) that a lot of my former and current friends and acquaintances from that period of time are present with me today.


This memory, being the most recent (my current lifetime started in 1953), is the strongest of them all and “problem areas” (for want of a better phrase) of that era seem to “pepper” my current lifetime.


Medical problems, birthmarks, tendency to spell words “English style”, love of the land and the people, love of English phrases, love of English type foods, love of English songs of that period, and also (especially as a child) knowledge of that time period, and especially Dame Vera Lynn (what a voice!) and she’s still living, bless her heart, what a lady!!!


These memories (from dreams and flashes of knowledge) are SOOO strong that I have a fondness (even as a child) of music from that time period (and a large collection) of the Big Band’s, such as Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, and my favourite, Vera Lynn.


Now on to listen to some 1940’s music!!! :)
 
Thanks for bringing this one back up, Deborah. Great memories. :) I wish my oldest still lived close by so that we could do a meditation together. Perhaps one day soon I shall get the chance :)
 
I've been reading this diary for several months now, because it references someone I can very much relate to (Sir William Penn). It's a great resource for anyone interested in that place and time period! :)
 
Back
Top