• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

PL memories and behavior

Ghost of Gumby

Hi, Friends : )
Has a past life become part of your ID in your current life? Which memory in particular, if any, has become a part of your ID in your current life?
 
Ghost of Gumby said:
Has a past life become your ID in your current life? Which memory in particular, if any, has become a part of your ID in your current life?
No, but I think people who do that will have to repeat the same type of life they are in at the moment. Your past life is in the past. You done what you needed to do. Now, in this life, you have a different reason for being here. If people use their past life as their current ID then they are not going to get anywhere.


So you base your ID on your past life. What happens in your next life if you remember the life you are in now? Do you base your ID on that? The only ID people should have is the life they lead at the moment.
 
I think that it is unavoidable for some of your ID in a past life to "spill over" into your current life. This probably happens subconsciously and most people would not even realize it. I feel that the past reflects into our present reality and points towards our future. So your ID from a previous life does not get obliterated, it continues as part of the psyche of your being, in my view. That is why we are able to access the memories, they are still there, just waiting to be tapped.
 
Kristopher :) said:
No, but I think people who do that will have to repeat the same type of life they are in at the moment. Your past life is in the past. You done what you needed to do. Now, in this life, you have a different reason for being here. If people use their past life as their current ID then they are not going to get anywhere.
So you base your ID on your past life. What happens in your next life if you remember the life you are in now? Do you base your ID on that? The only ID people should have is the life they lead at the moment.
Yes I do see what you are saying here Kristopher and you make a very good point. I have gone back and re-worded my statement to: Has a past life become [part of] your ID in your current life? Which memory in particular, if any, has become a part of your ID in your current life?


I think that it is important to stress the "a part of" because, as you say, if that ID from a previous life took over your mind set complelely, it would not be good. I do thnk, from my own experiences, that some of my past life behaviors does contunue in my present, this is not in any way detrimental to my present, I just find myself acting like someone else ocassionally.
 
Well I think who you were in your past lives could shape who you are today. Every situation and emotion you experience in past lives could all add to your current personality.


Its tricky to think that, during incarnations, do we pick the type of brain/personality we will have or, like you ave pointed out, isit generated through all of our past lives. If it is a mix of all of our past lives then what would our personality be like in our first incarnation?


I believe that when we incarnate we can pick the body, family, parents, place of birth etc. so IF we can pick all of that, would it be so hard being able to pick a type of personality also?
 
I think we are a culmination of our past lives...our characters are naturally formed by societal situations in each successive life, however, our ID or our essence of the souls we are does not change from life to life, except in accordance with the growth we make.


My past few lives and this one seem to mirror significantly from the character standpoint. I was in this lifetime, and in past lifetimes a good, reasonable child with fairly wild tendencies during adolescence. As I grew into late adolescence and young adulthood I became more circumspect and aware of my effects on others. I always felt comfortable with responsibility and was only beginning to take that on before passing in 1905 and had already attained some level of rank and responsibility in WWII before my death there. This lifetime has included the same pattern...with the progression as expected.
 
I found this in a book on Karma and it sums up my belief nicely:


"The whole self is not only the sum of the personality as you know it in your time, it is also the sum of what it has been and what it shall be."
 
I agree that how much we've grown along with the circumstances we find ourselves in play a large role in how our current life plays out, but the essence of who we are never changes. When I look back on the lives I remember I see a lot of consistencies. Is every life the same? No, but I can see who I am now reflected in those other lives. And I really don't feel any difference in my personality in this life and my most recent. I don't know if that's good or bad. It just is what it is. Maybe they were too close together for any noted change to take place.
 
Whenever I think of reincarnation 3 words come to mind and they are: past, present, and future. In order to learn who we are today we have to somehow combine them to make us whole. For example, I was struggling in the present. I had no direction or calling so I looked into the past for help. Turns out I was a painter. I'm artistic in this life but was afraid to pursue it as a career because of what happened to my ID in the past. Now that I've made that connection I conquered that fear and moved on into the future where my past and present are with me in spirit and skill. I know a few people in this life who like to "role play" their past ID's, although it's understandable coming from a male painter who's been reincarnated as a woman.
 
windows2thesoul said:
Now that I've made that connection I conquered that fear and moved on into the future ...
Dr. Brian Weiss' accounts are a very good example of how recognizing past lives can dispel phobias and even physical ailments of one's present life. One wonders, though; why such phobias and ailments exist, while we can't remember the cause.
 
i think kemetic18 summed it up nicely how i feel with this --> "The whole self is not only the sum of the personality as you know it in your time, it is also the sum of what it has been and what it shall be."


my most recent 3 pastlives were all connected to the military, and all 3 ended pretty badly. in this lifetime, i wanted nothing more than to be in the military, ever since i could remember (i wanted to be a JAG officer, since i wanted to be a lawyer also, so i thought i could combine my 2 dreams into 1). but i've had asthma since i was 5 (exercise-induced, it figures), and when i was 13 i wanted to go into the Sea Cadets (pre-ROTC for the Navy) but found out that my asthma prevented me from being in the military. it KILLED me.


my identities had been so closely tied to the military in my most recent 3 PL's that ended badly IN the military, maybe the universe was giving me the kick in the butt i needed to get me out of the cycle that i kept making for myself? i still have a military connection as i've grown up in it til my dad retired when i was 16, and my husband's in the military now.


but i think if your identity is so strongly tied to 1 aspect of your past lives (ie, military service), and you kept making the same mistake over and over and over, the universe will give you that kick in the butt to remind you "hey, whattaya doing? you stupid or something? you got yourself killed 3 times in a row! i'll show you by giving you asthma to keep you from doing it again!" but i think it's possible to carry over parts of your PL's to this lifetime, i mean, a soul doesnt get whitewashed when we die, it's got to carry over things other than memories as our souls live on throughout time. it would only make sense that part of our identities now would be tied to 1 or more PL's.
 
Nightrain1 said:
One wonders, though; why such phobias and ailments exist, while we can't remember the cause.
Interesting thought. And I have no answer...maybe the amnesia which prevents our having clear knowledge of our previous existences only prevents a conscious memory of the past, while our subconscious holds all the information and continues to provide input and responses based in past actions/reactions which are not subject to the amnesiatic effect. This deserves some pondering.
 
From a very early age, I've always had a deep "upset" emotion, and as a result, often victimized myself to make sense of it. It's not only recently that I've started reversing it.


What is the source of it? Possibly past life.
 
Nightrain1 said:
One wonders, though; why such phobias and ailments exist, while we can't remember the cause.
This can happen in the current life too. Someone could be terrified of water after falling in the pool as a child and not even consciously remember the incident.


I've heard it said before that the mind does not only exist in the brain, it exists throughout the body. The brain is just the electrical circuit board that brings subconscious memory into our conscious awareness. My feeling is that the phobia or ailment is stuck negative energy inside the mind of the body. The brain may not remember but the body does. Regressing to the source of the phobia or ailment allows one to put it in its proper context, and thus release the stuck energy from the body.
 
Truthseeker said:
I've heard it said before that the mind does not only exist in the brain, it exists throughout the body. The brain is just the electrical circuit board that brings subconscious memory into our conscious awareness.
Certainly, neurons can be found elsewhere in the body besides the brain; and, experiments reported by Dr. Dean Radin show that precognitive responses to visual stimuli actually come from the heart before the brain, which indicates that the heart may also perform functions heretofore thought to be consigned to the brain. In addition, Dr. Ian Stevenson's research concerning birth defects and birthmarks seems to indicate that our bodies have an uncanny way of responding to subconscious memories. Of course, the collective research of many "paranormal" disciplines seems to indicate that our physical bodies are merely receptors for knowledge that may be contained well outside of one's body, but which seems to still belong only to the soul occupying that body.
 
windows2thesoul said:
Whenever I think of reincarnation 3 words come to mind and they are: past, present, and future. In order to learn who we are today we have to somehow combine them to make us whole.
Hi Grace!


Well, we already made a start on the past and present for you by "combining" your 40+ usernames into one! ;) It's just the future we need to worry about now!
 
ChrisR said:
Hi Grace!
Well, we already made a start on the past and present for you by "combining" your 40+ usernames into one! ;) It's just the future we need to worry about now!
I love a sense of humor and that was a wonderful segue.
 
Back
Top