• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Possible Iron Age past life?

stardis

Senior Registered
alaskanlaughter said:
I meant to comment awhile back on the ritual of sharing blood on the palms at the wedding. I've heard of that ritual in the context of boys even in this day and age. Young boys would make a cut on their palms and touch their palms and smear the blood. That meant they were united together forever. Some sort of boyish bonding ritual. I remember hearing kids talk about that when I was younger.
We did it to become blood brothers. I'm not sure why we were inclined to do that, but it was a solemn ritual and it was not easy to deliberately cut yourself.

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
Hi again guys...

Alaska,Stardis... I thought of that kind of ritual myself. I am not entirely sure if the blood on our palms was our own or from some animal sacrifice (I repeat, there was absolutely nothing shocking or gory about it, at least not for me back then... :D )....

Today's news - Sunniva, I wonder what you make of this: concerning my origins, a word has surfaced: INNUM. And a scent - the scent of olive oil, possibly used as skin annointment. It strikes me as a delicious scent, a fond memory.

I researched innum and I am even more confused than before. I found it is a word of Akkadian origin...:confused:

Of course it may also be latin, greek, or even hindu.

Any thoughts???:confused::confused:

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
Sunniva....

Akkadian - Official language in:initially Akkad (central mesopotamia); lingua franca of the Middle East and Egypt in the late Bronze and early Iron Ages. (wikipedia)

: angel

What do you think?

Sunniva

Administrator Emeritus
I think it's interesting :) I'm not familiar with the word 'Innum', however I'm very intrigued by the fact that it may accadian, which was spoken in the Middle East since I am leaning that way. It's just a hunch, based on archaeological material found in Denmark. It's an archaeological theory and I'm using you as a guinea pig to see if you can come up with facts that supports it :laugh: Hope you don't mind, but I'm really fascinated!

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
:D :D:D

I'm delighted to be your guinea pig! In fact, I think that this is really working out very well.... !

The jewellry - this morning I remembered a necklace that I would have described as being made of "rocks" - round objects very similar to the earrings (is that what they are?) in the photo, rugged looking. It meant something that I got to wear such a necklace - I don't know what, though.

It's funny that words seem to be a trigger for me - even back then....:rolleyes:

What about the olive oil thing?

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
I also found this:

Many theories have been propounded for the birthplace and time of formation of this; but there now seems to be general agreement of opinion that it originated, mainly as we have it, in archaic Euphratean astronomy, possibly with only the six alternate signs, Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricornus, and Pisces, and later divided because of the annual occurrence of twelve full moons in successive parts of it. Yet Servius, about A.D. 400, said [ad Verg. Georg. I.33] that for a long time it consisted of but eleven constellations, Scorpio and its claws being a double sign, this characteristic feature descending to Greece and Rome.

Riccioli, about 1650, cited as a "Chaldean" title Hadronitho Demalusche, or Circle of the Signs; but this must be taken with much allowance,1 for in his day Babylonian study had not begun, while modern scholars think that it was known to the Akkadians as Innum, and as Pidnu-sha‑Shame, the Furrow of Heaven, ploughed by the heavenly Directing Bull, our Taurus, which from about 3880 to about 1730 B.C. was first of the twelve.
(Source: Star names, their Lore and Meaning by Richard Allen)

Sunniva

Administrator Emeritus
That's very fascinating. The jewellry was found in a grave here in Dk, but was most likely made in Sarmatia. I don't want to tell you anything specific about the theory yet in case I lead you on ;)

I can't say about the olive oil. In your part of the world it was the main economical source during ancient times, it is also believed that it's good for your skin, so maybe that's what you remember - using it as a skin product? :) Anyway, I think it's more of a hint of where you're from rather than where you ended since olives don't grow up here. However, there was a lot of trade going on between the Roman Empire and the north, so I couldn't rule out that it made it's way up here.

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
... by the way, I looked into this : ..

Look at the modern reconstruction of Sarmatian and Dacian costumes, on the right.

There's a man with a "cloak" and it seems to be buckled. I remember my father (Gwydion :eek: ) had a buckle like that.

.... and it's funny, I just thought that there's something quite consistent with my notion of breeches. When I saw my husband in his breeches, it didn't really feel as if I had not known that men wore breeches. I just felt that they wore some kind of tunic that covered them, like the men in that depiction.

As for the olive oil, it's definetly something from "home", not from the place I was at when I got married.

Another thing: it was cold at my husbands home - colder than where I came from. However, I must say that the cold was not unfamiliar to me, it was not something that I had never experienced before. Back home it got quite cold sometimes as well.

I don't know if I'm helping or damaging your investigations, but this is what I have so far.

Oh, and another thing! A carved object, made of wood. I will draw it and post it here.

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
Here is the carved figure I saw. I have no idea what it was for. It's not a very good drawing either.... :tongue: but I think you can get a general idea of what it looked like....

tanguerra

Moderator Emeritus
Very interesting W. A. The hunt is on!

A word of advice from an 'old hand'. Don't bother yourself too much with historical details, verification and googling, although I understand the curiosity, and the desire to confirm your own experiences with hard facts (believe me).

Let the experiences come as they will. Write it all down in a journal in as much detail as you can right now, draw pictures, do diagrams, and get all the details down while they are still fresh. These things are a bit like dreams sometimes. No matter how vivid they seem today, they can so quickly evaporate (I know it doesn't seem like it at the moment). You are experiencing 'the flood'. It will dry up, make no mistake.

Remember now. Google later.

:)

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
Tanguerra,

Yes! The hunt is on alright! .... and your words wise as usual came with perfect timing. My journal badly needs an update! :rolleyes:

Also as I write things down more details seem to surface - so, besides keeping accurate records of my memories, it will also work as trigger source.

Sunniva, I will keep it coming, believe me! :D

tanguerra

Moderator Emeritus
Yes indeed. Checking the historical facts is really interesting, and validations can be very affirming that this is not just all your imagination but it can be a distraction.

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
ok - my new words:

- Namm, or Tua'namm

- Ored (reads like o - red (the colour) )

- Tuer me (the "e" as in better)

Any suggestions?

Tanguerra - I wrote it all down already! :)

Karoliina

Moderator Emerita
Sunniva said:
The earliest inscription we have is on a comb and it says simply 'Harja'.
Really? "Harja" means "a comb" in Finnish - or actually a brush. A comb would be "kampa". But still.

Karoliina

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
Hei... :)

After a bit more research, I can say that I think it's Welsh :rolleyes:

I don't know what it means - I know what the words may mean, but I can't make sense of it. So for now it's a dead end.

I love the comb thing Karoliina!!!!

Sunniva

Administrator Emeritus
Really? "Harja" means "a comb" in Finnish - or actually a brush. A comb would be "kampa". But still.
Wow!!! Is that really so? My heart is racing right now I'm that excited :eek::eek: That's totally mindblowing. In some cases it was speculated that the words written on the items was what they were called, but 'Harja' has always been thought to be a name!!! I'm so going to ask our rune expert on the National Museum if she knows this!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hm, I wonder if other names would have a meaning in Finnish too...:rolleyes::cool

Karoliina

Moderator Emerita
Oh btw I think the Finnish word "harja" has the same origins in etymology as, for example, the English word "hair". So it's not necessarily Finnish in that comb, but possibly the same meaning - and describes the function of the object. :)

Karoliina

Sunniva

Administrator Emeritus
I did speak with an expert today and it is apparantly a known fact that 'Harja' means comb/brush in Finnish. I was meaning to ask you if you could perhaps find the time to find the etymology on that word? I would be very curious to see :)

Peter V

Senior Registered
If I can pop in for a quick observation here... :)

Many of the words you're coming up with seem to have a proto-"celtic" sound to them, and some of the jewelry you mention also closely resembles a torc. The Celts (I don't like this word, but what else to use?) had similar languages and customs from the Black Sea to France, and as it sounds like you're talking about a period before wide-spread adoption of Christianity, this makes sense too...

The Dying Gaul <-- Notice the Torc around his neck.

Much of Norse mythology and language has its origins in the Germanic groups hanging around from the 7th C. BCE - 5th Century CE. So, if there is a Celtic or Germanic connection it might easily point you to Scandinavian areas from a perspective of our modern understanding of where these language groups are distributed today. Am I making sense? :)

You might be interested in these two links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallstatt_culture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Tène_culture

W.A. HEART

Senior Registered
Hello Peter!

Great links! Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

Yes, I completely understand what you mean - I think :D - it's easy to fall into modern day perspective and look towards where it points today. Perhaps that's why it gets difficult to combine all the references, which are apparently contradictory or too loose, into something coherent and traceable in time (am I making sense? :eek: , did I get your point?)

I understand what you mean by disliking the word Celtic - it is far too general, but yeah, what else? So you think the words sound proto-celtic. Perhaps you are right. I went through my material and found very similar welsh words, but no exact matches - and I must say it doesn't really sound /I] welsh.

Do you have any idea how one could find out what they mean??: angel

The links you posted are very interesting - I was so excited to find references to greek and germanic influences blending together.... and the artifacts looked incredibly familiar.

The statue of the dying gaul is stunning - I was a little overwhelmed, I must say. Yes, the torc is not too far from what I "saw" either...

What do you make of all this?

Oh, and BTW...

If I can pop in for a quick observation here...

Feel free to hang around, you are welcome!