• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Quaker Past Life (Mid-Late 1700s)

Anaesthesia

Member
I saw a thread somewhere on the forum about lives in the US, so I'd thought I share mine. This is rather long.:laugh:

The first thing I dreamed (remembered?) about is being with a soldier, and going with him to a Tory's (ie, Loyal to the British) house. From this I realized that I was Quakeress (a woman Quaker), about 20 (possibly late summer or early fall 1776). I also knew I was from Philadelphia and was in the Philadelphia or the Pennsylvania division of the army. I do have a general description of the soldier I was with-he was taller than I was, which would have made him roughly 6' or thereabouts, and had really red hair. We were in Philadelphia when this happened.

I was in/with the Army as a Camp Follower, mostly being a Nurse in the medical tent. I did also read letters and the like to whomever asked, and also read from the Bible. I also generally took over for a Priest or other Christian clergyperson when there wasn't one available or the one we did have died. (I was a Quaker, so it was generally accepted in Quaker society for a woman to "preach") I know I was doing this from at least 1776 until the war ended. I believe I never made it too far into New England, for fear of being hanged more than anything. I mainly followed the Medical tent in the Pennsylvania divisions. I know I must have helped a few people desert the army (about less than 5), but stopped once one or two people were caught and killed for being traitors. I mainly felt guilty, so that mostly led me to not help deserters after that.

Later on, other memories, proved that the spy with the red hair was the one in cognito as a spy with the Tory family (on and off as a hired hand). I do believe I was injured at the time-I believe I either broke my left arm or one of my legs; I do have the feeling I broke my leg also, but may have been at different time. I do have the distinct image of myself-in Congress-talking on behalf of the army, and losses due to injured men going home and not returning. I remember seeing a woodcut version of it in a newspaper, but haven't been able to locate the image now.

I do remember that the reason my arm was broken, though. One particular night a British officer-or solidier I'm not sure-came into the Medical Tent, I think planning or at least trying to "get a few easy kills." I know I put up a big fight with him, throwing whatever at hand. I don't know where the Doctor was at the time, when this was happening. I think some of the concious soldiers in the tent were trying to get the British officer to leave me alone and telling him to get out of the tent/telling him off. At one point the British soldier started swinging his rifle (the butt end) towards me and I put my left arm up to protect my head/face. I don't remember where the soldier went after that. But anyway, I know someone was trying to give me a medal of some kind (possibly a purple heart), and I kept on refusing it-they kept on insisting, eventually I gave up and wore the medal. I believe I wore this medal when I went to congress.

I know when I was at congress I was put up in a room and my Soldier-spy who was with me sometimes came around to "protect" me by standing outside the door. I believe someone (not sure who) bought me a dress I wouldn't ordinarly buy for myself. It was a blue periwinkle dress and it was velvet. I am not sure if I used this dress to carry messages to other people in the army or whatever, but I do have the distinct feeling that I sewed something in the bodice for myself, to read in another life. I do have a similar feeling about a picture frame. I didn't get a clear look at the painting, so I'm not sure what was in the frame. I do have an image of a large Gold Filagree frame, however.

I do remember being asked to accompany another spy (he was around my height, and brown hair) to Louisiana, I believe to try to round up troops from the French. I know we crossed enemy lines quite a few times, and were asked by the British who we were and what we were doing. I do remember looking down several bayonets and claiming to be pregnant, so they wouldn't harm me. I do remember being in New Orleans/Louisiana and hating it the entire time. In this life, I've turned down several offers of going to New Orleans or Louisiana in general.

I believe I died (of natural causes) around 1812-I've heard one account that sounds really familiar to me-it was of the destruction of the White House. I don't think I ever married, or had children. By the time I was out of the war, I would have been considered a spinster.

Although, I think most of my accounts have been lost to time-I did look up Women in the American Revolution. The only name that sounded familiar to me was Lydia Darragh. I believe she was an aquantance of mine, although she and I belonged to different Meetinghouses. I think I knew her son, but I'm not 100% positive.
 
By the by, my mom says whenever a "big" holday or my birthday was coming up, when I was little, I would always say I didn't want anything (I believe this had some thing to do with Quakerism-in the 18th century they were "plain folk" and similar to Amish, where materialism was concerned)


Also when I was little, my mom accedentaly broke a mirror, which several shards landed on her and one cut deeply into her hand. I remember going to the ER with her, and asking why the doctor wouldn't let me help and/or watch him stitch the cut up.


Another odd thing (I never put 2 and 2 together until later), I worked on a 18th Century Historical German Farm for several years. If it wasn't volunteer and only opened part of the year, I'd work there full time.


I also minored in History, taking mostly classes in Early American History. I am debated whether or not I should continue in Early American or continue with another history that I'm completely obsessed with.


Oh, by the way, I did manage to visit Valley Forge (I went on a Short visit, so I didn't see the entire property) and it does look vaguely familiar to me. Some parts of Philly look familiar to me, as well.
 
Thank you for sharing your memories, Anaesthesia!


You've got some wonderful information and possible validations. Interesting that you may have been acquaintances with Lydia Darragh. I'd love to hear more when you unravel the mystery a bit!


Ailish
 
Thank you for sharing, Anaesthesia. :)


I have some PL memories of the era and America, but we had French roots and were Huguenots. I find your memories fascinating, so please keep us posted. :thumbsup:


Karoliina
 
I just remembered I had a dream about this life recently...I was out hiding in a cave someplace with a bunch of drum and fifers (mostly made up of boys around the age 10 or so). For most of this I was holding a candle stub, then I remember running/herding everyone into an adjacent cave, which was further back from the cave entrance.


I do remember smelling lanolin very strongly-I don't know why. :confused:
 
Ana --


You should come back to properly visit the Philadelphia area! Delaware County, which is southwest of the city, has many many Quaker meetinghouses scattered all over. Plus there is a working colonial plantation at Ridley Creek State Park. Maybe visiting will help bring back more memories.


Can't candles be made from animal fat? Would that help explain the smell of lanolin?
 
Nice reflection Pele -

Can't candles be made from animal fat? Would that help explain the smell of lanolin?
Tallow is another name for animal fat


About candles

A chandler is the craft person who makes it possible to see at night. The craftsperson makes candles. There are two different types of chandlers. There is a wax chandler and tallow chandler. Tallow is another name for animal fat.
 
:laugh: I wasn't even thinking about tallow!! :tongue: But yes, I do need to go to Philly again. I would be interesting if I could find my old meetinghouse.


I have also found what regiment I was in-at first I was conflicted about it being either the First or Second, but I now think it's The Second Pennsylvania Regiment--I found this site and it had a history of the Second (helped clear my confusion also!) here. I think I caught up with the Regiment somewhere between March and July 1776.
 
Please keep us posted Anaesthesia,


A fascinating post and interesting correlations. :D
 
I wanted to update everyone, since some new things I remembered.


A while ago, I was thinking about this past life (in general terms, nothing really specific). At one point, I was thinking about the man who I went to Louisiana with. All of a sudden, I thought, "It's Jacob..." :eek:


Since then, I've had this general feeling that when we did go to Louisiana, that we weren't the only two on the trip, like there were others for some sort of "ambassadorial" trip. I keep getting the word "liason," too.


I've also remembered some troubling memories of when I was first at the medical tent. Mostly of the first few people who asked me to sit with them or hold their hand and then passing shortly thereafter; and some of people who asked me to read them a letter then realizing halfway that they passed. I remember as soon as I realized they had passed, I froze and someone had to physically remove me from the cot and/or the person. Feelings of guilt have surfaced as well (mostly invovling not being able to "help" or "heal" some of these people). :(
 
Thanks. :laugh:


You want to know something really ironic? The historical farm I used to volunteer for a long time ago-I went over the weekend and visited it. I was talking to one of the volunteers, and I was saying that I find it really weird for an 18th Century Historical Farm to have Civil War re-enactors. The volunteer thought I should mention it to the board of directors and see if they'd let me organize an American Revolution re-enactor group. *lol* (If you're wondering, yes I sent them an email and the woman I was talking to was the sister of the person who is the President on the Board of Directors)


I told them I'd be persuaded to organize an 8th Pennsylvania Regiment or 1st Pennsylvania Battalion--as Daniel Brodhead is a big hero in Monroe County (after all Brodheadsville is named after him and is 20 minutes away from me and the farm)
 
Wow Ana, that is interesting! Perhaps this involvement will lead to more memories.


Tman
 
Hi all-


I've been working on this PL for a while. I'm not 100% positive, but I've keep coming back to "Phoebe" as my first name.


I realized I made an error in my first post, and as the event was "clearer", so to speak, the person who came into the Medical tent, wasn't British, but really a German Mercernary (I never noticed the different uniform & hat until recently. Ok, it was dark at the time, so shoot me! :laugh: : angel )


The redheaded friend of mine, I believe has been "checking in" on me every once in a while (or at least that's what he's implying). I've nickednamed him James, since he hasn't told me what to call him. I think I "saw" him several years ago, but I never realized it was him until James "admitted" to it.


I also have some vague memories of both James and Jacob wanting to marry me, to the extent they wanted to duel (I wouldn't let them), but I think I did end up marrying James. I do have some vague memories of James writing me anonomous letters throughout the war.


Ok, that was long..bye for now. :)
 
I saw a thread somewhere on the forum about lives in the US, so I'd thought I share mine. This is rather long.:laugh:

I do remember being asked to accompany another spy (he was around my height, and brown hair) to Louisiana, I believe to try to round up troops from the French. I know we crossed enemy lines quite a few times, and were asked by the British who we were and what we were doing. I do remember looking down several bayonets and claiming to be pregnant, so they wouldn't harm me. I do remember being in New Orleans/Louisiana and hating it the entire time. In this life, I've turned down several offers of going to New Orleans or Louisiana in general.

I believe I died (of natural causes) around 1812-I've heard one account that sounds really familiar to me-it was of the destruction of the White House. I don't think I ever married, or had children. By the time I was out of the war, I would have been considered a spinster.

Although, I think most of my accounts have been lost to time-I did look up Women in the American Revolution. The only name that sounded familiar to me was Lydia Darragh. I believe she was an aquantance of mine, although she and I belonged to different Meetinghouses. I think I knew her son, but I'm not 100% positive.

Hi there! I made an account just to respond to this. I just found this post you made in 2008 and I recently confirmed a past life of mine as Lydia Darragh! I live in New Orleans and have for almost 5 years now! If you want to talk more, please send me an email when you get this to eviedelavara@gmail.com :) Blessings -Evie
 
Hi Evie,

Welcome to the board. I think folks have allowed a bit of a space for Anaesthesia to answer, but since she hasn't been posting for a while, I'm going to jump in and shout Welcome! We'd be interested to hear more about the Lydia Darragh lifetime. I did a quick Wiki to check her out, but there's nothing like "first person" information.

Cordially,
S&S
 
Back
Top