• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Revolutionary War lifetime

kemetic18

Senior Registered
I have always been strongly drawn to the American Revolutionary War time period and since I was about 9 or 10 believed I did live then. I actually remember when I was a kid and some days (particularly in the fall) I had this strong feeling of remembering and I called these "Massachusetts days" but I could not come up with any actual memories, just feelings.

Then when I was about 12 or so, my class went on a field trip to a revolutionary war battlefield. We were walking through an old colonial house and I had this very quick memory of being intimate with a British soldier. It really disturbed because I didn't know why that would have popped so vividly into my head.

So, recently I tried meditating on that lifetime and this is what I've found. I love any comments or thoughts on it.

I was a young woman and could see my dress was brown, maybe linen with laces up the front and cords holding the skirt up with white sleeves. We lived in a small house somewhere in New England (I tried to ask for clarity but nothing was coming). It was definitely a rural area, no other houses nearby.

I was married and had a baby but was very young, just a teenager. It seemed like my husband and I lived with my family and there were lots of siblings. I couldn't see anyone's face clearly but I don't think they are anyone whose in my life today. It was a very happy feeling, there seemed to be a lot of love in the family.

It seemed like at some point my husband and father were off fighting in the war. I then saw myself then with the British soldier - it was stupid and the regret and shame I felt for being unfaithful was horrible.

During another meditation, I saw a later date in this lifetime. My husband was there and we had more children. I am not completely sure but it seemed like I had had a child by the British soldier and my sister was raising him as her own so my husband wouldn't know. Again I felt so ashamed and guilty. I was thinking something like "i won't make them mad again".

The name Sarah stuck in my head but I don't know if that was my name or my sister's name. This memory would actually explain somethings in my life now. I've always been super careful of not doing anything that my family wouldn't approve of. I can't stand for them to be disappointed in me or upset with me.

The relationship between me (in that lifetime) and my sister must have been strong. I don't claim to know much about social customs at the time but if people thought the sister had a child out of wedlock, I could image her chances at marriage would be ruined. Yet it seemed she helped me. I find that really interesting.

I really want to find out more about this lifetime, maybe some place names to see if there is any way I could research it more.
 
kemetic18 said:
I have always been strongly drawn to the American Revolutionary War time period and since I was about 9 or 10 believed I did live then. I actually remember when I was a kid and some days (particularly in the fall) I had this strong feeling of remembering and I called these "Massachusetts days" but I could not come up with any actual memories, just feelings.
CLIP


...It seemed like at some point my husband and father were off fighting in the war. I then saw myself then with the British soldier - it was stupid and the regret and shame I felt for being unfaithful was horrible.


CLIP


...The relationship between me (in that lifetime) and my sister must have been strong. I don't claim to know much about social customs at the time but if people thought the sister had a child out of wedlock, I could image her chances at marriage would be ruined. Yet it seemed she helped me. I find that really interesting.


I really want to find out more about this lifetime, maybe some place names to see if there is any way I could research it more.
Hi Kermetic,


After the fight at Lexington and Concord, the British became somewhat bottled up in Boston for about 11 months before they were forced to evacuate in March 26, 1776. During those 11 months a number of Revolutionaries were away from their homes while fetching artillery from Fort Ticonderoga, and dragging them through the heavy New England snow in an epic effort to place them on Dorchester Heights overlooking Boston. Thus, in that Spring the British decided to evacuate the city not knowing that the Americans had no powder or ball for the cannons. The British never returned to Boston, and the volunteers were able to return to their farms in time for planting.


It seems very likely that the memories you have could have happened during that period when the men were away and the women were left quite alone during the Winter. Although the New Englanders were descended from religious puritans, sexual behavior was actually somewhat more open during the 18th Century. So, it is possible that a much older sister could have gotten away with adopting some children from households in which couldn't take care of them for any number of reasons. Besides, more children were of economic importance in families during that era, because there was much that they could help with.


The linen dress would have been accurate, but common wear would have consisted of chemise, petticoats, stays and apron, all made of linen. Elbows would have been covered for modesty and linen caps were always worn, sometimes with a straw hat over the white cap.


It is fairly certain that some record could exist for everyone in old Congregational or Episcopal Church records, but there was no census until 1790. The Anglican Church did have congregations in New England, but they tended to be of Loyalist sympathies.


Try to locate old maps of the Boston area and read the place names to see if anything strikes a chord. Even 19th Century maps can help, because they usually show every house with the name of each owner. Many properties stayed within the same family after the Revolution until some years later when the Westward migrations began.


There is much more that can be learned, if you can remember anything, regardless of importance. If I am unable to help, I can probably find someone who can.


-Nightrain
 
Kemetic, Thanks for Posting and interesting to read of your experiences. Now I myself have been drawn to the American Revolution Time Period ever since I was a little kid. I sincerely believe that I also did fight in the Revolution with being particularly drawn to the Battle of Bunker Hill. I have even dreamed of myself being an american soldier in the revolution. Maybe we knew each other in that revolutionary time period.
 
Nightrain:


Thanks for the historical info. It definitely felt like Massachusetts so I'm going to do so digging to see if I can't find something that feels familiar. This was such an interesting and exciting time in history and I love to read about it. I find it absolutely amazing what the americans were able to do in spite of such adversity.


Anyway, yes when I looked at my sister she was wearing a white cap. I'm sure I was too but since I was seeing it 1st person, I couldn't tell for sure what was on my head. :D


kmatjhwy:


I'd love to hear if you have any memories of your lifetime during the revolution if you'd like to share. How cool would that be if we did actually know each other? :thumbsup:
 
Just thought I'd let you guys know ... "Footnote" just emailed me that

In recognition of America's Independence Day, Footnote is opening their Revolutionary War Collection free to the public. This unique collection features millions of original records found nowhere else on the internet.
Whether you are a genealogist or a history buff, you can discover new details about the Revolutionary War in records that include:


* Soldier Service Records


* Original letters written by Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and other Founding Fathers


* Revolutionary War Pension Files


* Payment Vouchers for Military Pensions


* George Washington Correspondence


* and more


Visit the Revolutionary War Collection today.


Hurry, this free access ends July 7, 2010.
 
Back
Top