Lynnette
Member
Hi, I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this, or whether it is okay for me to post this, all not sure what to call it... but, I have been trying to trace one of my 'dream people', and hit a couple of confusing stumbling blocks I hoped someone on this forum might be able to help me out with.
Basically, I found the parents of the girl I am trying to twice listed as married on 2 consecutive censuses - 1910 and 1920. After that, they seem to disappear, although I have found a death record, and several army service records for the father. I have also found her mother seemingly under a different surname - both whilst living with and not living with her parents - both of whom have completely different surnames again on my particular parents' marriage record! But then today, I found another record for the father that says he has been twice divorced.. but, his wife, or at least the one I'm after, came from a very Jewish family (her father was a Rabbi).
This is all very well, but I sort of assumed divorce was 1, well, not looked upon too favourably at that period of time, and 2, not really considered amongst religious families. Am I being totally wrong here? And suppose they had actually divorced, would the child have stayed with the mother or the father, since I had it in my mind that father's were favoured over mothers at that time, too. And supposing her mother also married again, whose name would she marry under - her maiden name or her first married name?
Sorry, lots of questions, I know. Hopefully someone can help me : angel
Basically, I found the parents of the girl I am trying to twice listed as married on 2 consecutive censuses - 1910 and 1920. After that, they seem to disappear, although I have found a death record, and several army service records for the father. I have also found her mother seemingly under a different surname - both whilst living with and not living with her parents - both of whom have completely different surnames again on my particular parents' marriage record! But then today, I found another record for the father that says he has been twice divorced.. but, his wife, or at least the one I'm after, came from a very Jewish family (her father was a Rabbi).
This is all very well, but I sort of assumed divorce was 1, well, not looked upon too favourably at that period of time, and 2, not really considered amongst religious families. Am I being totally wrong here? And suppose they had actually divorced, would the child have stayed with the mother or the father, since I had it in my mind that father's were favoured over mothers at that time, too. And supposing her mother also married again, whose name would she marry under - her maiden name or her first married name?
Sorry, lots of questions, I know. Hopefully someone can help me : angel