• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Why we care about PL experiences.

TLD

I am wondering if we share something in common regarding this question. I, personally, would love to leave the past in the past, yet I have a nagging feeling that something in my past is hindering my current life, ergo, the reason I am here. I am curious what motivates others to look here for answers...same reasons? Thanks!

Hiya TLD :)

For me personally I must admit that finding my past lives have more to do with curiousity than spiritualism. Since I was a child I always had a passion for history: all my childhood games were based in historical settings and I almost only read historical novels. As a grown up I've chosen prehistoric archaeology to be my profession, so everyday through the practical part of my work as well as the research part, I am in close contact with history.

Recalling past lives is to me like opening a small window into history, like a time-machine, and I get some childish satisfaction of re-living the past. I also have a professional interest in hearing about other past lives, because (this may be naive though :D ) I believe that I may find some answers to archaeological questions.

Obviously along the way there are bonuses for me as I find connections between my current life and my past lives, I've gotten to know myself a lot better through knowing my past lives. I've gotten better at seeing my life in 3D so to speak, understanding myself and my relationships to other people.

Good question TLD.

I've always had an interest in history. It is a subject that I did very well with in school. It's kind of fun to wonder and explore which needle in the haystack of history I might have been. The subject of reincarnation, and in particular memories coming through regression hypnosis is something that I was fascinated with right away. It was only natural for me to try and walk that same path. I have found great value in uncovering the pieces to my own puzzle, and coming to better understand "Me". My journey brought me to this forum searching for somewhere I could discuss my memories free from persecution.

Hello TLD.

TLD said:
I am wondering if we share something in common regarding this question. I, personally, would love to leave the past in the past, yet I have a nagging feeling that something in my past is hindering my current life, ergo, the reason I am here. I am curious what motivates others to look here for answers...same reasons? Thanks!
Exactly my own situation. I was able to put the pieces of my most recent past life together and found that it explained a huge amount of anxiety about there always being some place that I had to find. I realized that I have been trying to re-create that past life and that realization has allowed me to let go of that anxiety of always looking for something that I couldn't find. Now that I know where to look for that past life, I no longer care to do so - except maybe out of curiosity someday. It remains a mystery to me why I should have come back to this world with the desire to re-live that life and I wonder if there are some unresolved issues with family that I am working out or perhaps the life was so pleasant that I had a desire to continue where I left off. Lots of unanswered questions for me still and I think that is why I care about pl experiences.

What holds my interest in reincarnation is my curiosity about why I am here and how I can live this life in the most productive way. My interest in why we Beings of Light are living a physical life fascinates me and that is what I meditate on and think about mostly now days.

Most times it's more the memories that find me than the other way around. Let's say: to recall about a few lives brings me inner peace, the feeling of having returned home. Others just rouse my curiosity...

Why we care about PL experiences

What got me started on PL's was that I had memories/dreams as a child of other incidents/places/other people that were not part of this life, and I could not explain or rationalize them away, am I making any sense?

Now some may say that I was influenced by too much Television, but back in the 50's there was no "too much", as TV was still very new, few people owned one, there were only maybe three channels in our area, and when we finally got one, we used it more to fry eggs on , just kidding about the eggs, but the tubes really heated it up.

These memories/dreams of incidents/places/other people set me on the path as I got older (young teen) to devour what few books there were in the School/Public library on reincarnation to find the answers to what I was going through, and finally I just accepted reincarnation as a logical and rational reason to life.

Oh wow!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!! I'm fascinated that a number of us are lovers of history (after art my favorite subject growing up:).

I am trying to focus on childhood memories right now, since I am gathering from this forum they are usually the best. I remember being 6 and going to the van gogh museum in Amsterdam and standing before his "bridge at arles" and being overwhelmed, later when I saw it in life I had the same reaction. I can't tell whether this is because of my being an artist or if there is another meaning...fyi, I don't think I was van gogh:)

Theoretically, I kind of feel we aren't suppossed to remember these past lives unless they can somehow teach us...at least that is what I am hoping and seeking! I feel life should be about the future, but if we can learn from the past and apply it to the future it is a useful tool....make any sense?

What an interesting thread! I started looking into past lives because I had something giving me nudges that it is important. I knew nothing about it but there was the book about it on the library shelf and it was practically hopping off the shelf into my bag. ;)

A few years ago my daughter started describing a past life in detail and that made me pause and wonder at the time. I have had a terrible longing since I was about eleven for people I have never met. Like all of you, I have always been interested in history. As a child I used to play games where I was different people living in other countries or people in other times.

I also feel "stuck" in this life as if something is always holding me back. I believe my past lives hold the key to helping me overcome that. I already feel differences within myself. I feel so much more confidence. I am naturally a rather fearful and insecure person. Finding my old memories helped me understand my fears a lot. It also made me realize I have endured terrible things with dignity so I don't have to be afraid of what life turns out to be this time around either.

Alot of wonderful motivations coming from this discussion.

In my case, I had difficulty with organized religion and its separation of man from God. I found a book by Edgar Cayce and some parts of it felt really right, while others I was so-so about. Then a Weiss book brought me to attention.

This brought a feeling of calm and a warmth through my heart...for me this was real and all the rest felt like a structure for those who are living solely in this three dimensional world and whose lifeplans did not include the discovery of other realities in this lifetime or have yet to get there. I feel that some people are not meant to live in anything but what they are faced with here and now, while others get slapped with clues enough to know that something is going on and they better pay attention. I am in the latter category.

I had several truly amazing introductions to people who remarkably changed my life over a short period of time. Why were they so different than everyone else I met before or since? Why were we so familiar? Why so comfortable, so "on the same page", while simply everyone else was so NOT?

An example is my best friend...he calls when I am about to pick up the phone to call him. He lives in another part of the state and I call him to tell him of the steak I'm cooking on the grill...he is doing the same thing...I bought some new sunglasses...he just bought the same ones. Things of interest, current events, thoughts, impressions...all mirrored in someone not you. How does this work?

Then came the lucid dream (I call it that, but I do not know if it is accurate...details, mannerisms, expressions, feelings and emotions are extremely sharp and it leaves me with a "memory" rather than trying to remember the foggy shrouds of the dream). I was in a room with courtly clothes on and I was acting a role of sorts. I was sitting leisurely on a chaise in a very nicely outfitted drawing room, and I could see myself in a mirror. I was being spoken to by someone in authority who was mildly chastising me. I was too casual for the situation and then I saw in the mirror my twin brother, with the same face I had and dressed the same way I was, walk up behind me to stand behind the chaise. The expression on the gentleman's face was priceless...I was cool because my brother was the one who had done whatever the conversation was about and the gentleman had not known I had an identical twin...who is now my best friend in this lifetime. There have been other vignettes of this lifetime in which we play "twin tricks" on people...not all of them very nice...but it explains the closeness for our experiences in this lifetime.

My motivation is to understand the special relationships like that above and many others as well, and the field of past life research has helped me to do that. It turns out that nearly everyone that I am in any sort of relationship with has been in a relationship with me in a prior lifetime. To me that gives the relationship a greater reason and purpose, and as events unfold between or through us, it is clearly an event we have meant to experience together.

Upon reflection, I am often surprised, disappointed, and dismayed that more people don't take an active interest in the study of past lives. The subject offers useful explanations for the problems we all face in life, and one would think that people would at least allocate a small portion of their energy toward reincarnation.

Nightrain, I think for many people (westerners especially) the idea of PLs is taboo. Which is why they don't explore it. I also think that some people just don't need to know. So even I they were open minded about it they won't look into it.

I tend to surround myself with seekers and people who work on themselves. Which is why the realization that my mother couldn't even grasp this concept came as a shock to me.

I too have a best friend similar to usetawaz...vanessa and I met in 2nd grade and after 3rd grade she moved to the other side of the country and then the other side of the world. We can go a year without speaking and then have an hour long conversation where we realize we are on the same page in life and doing the same things (in H.S. we wrote nearly identical papers..lol) I have no question that we have been very close in past lives, but I actually have no interest in learning about our PLs together, since our friendship is wholly positive.

For me it is where I have dificult relationships that I want to know more.

TLD said:
I think for many people (westerners especially) the idea of PLs is taboo. Which is why they don't explore it. I also think that some people just don't need to know. So even I they were open minded about it they won't look into it.
Those are good points. In addition, I think the idea of reincarnation genuinely scares some people. I'm sure that there are a lot of people that hate the idea that when it's all over with they have to come back and do it all over again. Most of us have been romanticized with this idea that you come here once, be a good person, die, go to heaven, and live happily ever after. Coming back over and over again kind of screws that plan up. I imagine a lot of people are also freaked out about the idea of being a completely different person, family, race, gender, country....

Personally, the idea of experiencing something new in the next life intrigues me. :cool

Truthseeker said:
...I'm sure that there are a lot of people that hate the idea that when it's all over with they have to come back and do it all over again. Most of us have been romanticized with this idea that you come here once, be a good person, die, go to heaven, and live happily ever after. Coming back over and over again kind of screws that plan up. I imagine a lot of people are also freaked out about the idea of being a completely different person, family, race, gender, country....
Personally, the idea of experiencing something new in the next life intrigues me. :cool
This has been my experience also...the idea of doing it again apparently is exhausting to some. And some of those who have taken on the idea are certain that a) they aren't gonna come back because they are done, or b) since they have free will they shouldn't have to come back. Both may be valid for those people, but without knowledge of what they have undergone before and what else their soul has in store for its own future learning, an incarnate proclamation that "I'm not doing this again!" rings hollow.

Further, in my fairly conservative, christian community, the idea smacks of blasphemy and anti-christianity, so the mere thought is often shouted down with simple looks and glares.

It is interesting to watch what happens when a discussion does ensue and the idea of soul groups changing roles in different incarnations arises... "You could be married now to a soul who was your mother in a prior life(I am)...oh, and engaged earlier in this life to a woman who was your sister in that same previous life! (I was)." I assume the "Eewe" and "yuck" mean thoughts of incest prevail despite the different gene pools.

Then orthodox religion's espousal of an eternal soul means you have one chance to get it right, then you reap the benefits for eternity...well, what is going to happen in that eternity...if you get there? (you will) Can you imagine perfection every day for eternity? What if, now change views just a bit, to break up the monotony of perfection and instantaneous manifestation, you get to see imperfection while incarnating on earth...which will provide a sense of perspective and appreciation of that perfection in heaven...and you get to do it again and again, and each time you do it, you become more proficient.

Then there are those who ask "What if you're wrong?" Well, my body will die just as anyone else's will and my soul will do the same thing yours does as we are all good people. But if I'm right I have lived a great life without fear about where my soul is going once I shake off this mortal coil.

I have had people leave the room shaking their heads at the mere thought of any of these things...on the other hand I have had people who, as a result of our conversations, have pursued these and other avenues and thanked me for broaching the subject that never would have occurred to them without our discussion.

From my standpoint, reincarnation is a fact and the more information one can gleen on the subject, the clearer one will see their most beneficial role in this lifetime...but if they do not get it this time, they'll get another opportunity!

You can see I don't think much about this kind of thing!

usetawuz said:
T
Then there are those who ask "What if you're wrong?" Well, my body will die just as anyone else's will and my soul will do the same thing yours does as we are all good people. But if I'm right I have lived a great life without fear about where my soul is going once I shake off this mortal coil.

g!
I have used this exact same arguement!!!

For many years I carried a tremendous anger toward God for allowing the inequities and injustices in his world, and rage toward Jesus for all the lies and hypocrisy of his church. As my soul festered with these extreme emotions, I aimed some of it toward everyone around me. The world, for me, was a cruel place with no rhyme or reason; and my hopes for anything better were being obliterated by the certain and looming prospect of being killed in a war that I didn't agree with, and which had already killed most of my friends. It was not the great crusade that I would have been willing to die for.

Then, something happened that I believed had a positive spiritual origin, and the search began in earnest for something that would restore my faith in a spiritual reality. Eventually, that search ultimately led me to reincarnation, which seemed to explain all the wrongs of the world and allowed me to forgive myself as well as others.

I could go on to explain how the research of Dr. Ian Stevenson and others helped to fortify credibility issues; but the main message here is that the importance of reincarnation has become something of an overwhelming passion; so much so, that I find it hard to return to routine life. My own wife wonders why it is so important to me, and I can't understand her blase attitude toward it. I guess I'm a little puzzled over this as well.

Fortunately, I've not taken this interest to the point of evangelism. But, the disappointment of not experiencing personal proof can, sometimes, be crushing. This past weekend I participated in the 232nd reenactment of the Battle of Monmouth with my son in New Jersey. I slept for two nights on the very ground where many men fought and died in battle, but I failed to experience anything of a spiritual nature while there. Although I can't think of a better way to spend Father's Day with my son and soul-mate; the intensity of my quest was in no way satisfied.

One thing is certain, however; and that is how thankful I am to be among the members and fellow seekers here.

Nightrain...your experience with the reinactment at Monmouth Courthouse, with your son, is a tremendous event. While you mention that you had no revelations, I certainly did. The original effort was Washington's opportunity to give Lafayette a taste of command which almost wrested the glory of defeat from the arms of victory. The disfunction of the command proved almost fatal in its execution. And as you briefly described it I actually got visions of the action...I do not know whether it was your action or the original, but the smoke was evident and the heat was in the 90's, and full of humidity. The memories of sharing it with your son are priceless and of this currrent world...whether you shared them with him initially or not, you must research, but the fact you have an interest at all indicates there is something of a shared previous experience.

I became friends in the sixth grade with a guy who was familiar with me from day one. We had the same interests and concerns that develop from twelve year olds and forward. After we became adults he became involved in the anachronistic portrayals of the spanish colonials in St. Augustine, FL and I could not stand him or whatever he had to say. I went into a meditative review of both him and my dislike of St Augustine (my wife loves the town and wants to go there for afternoons, dinners, etc.) and it turns out that I was previously a french heugenot...a protestant frenchman, one of many who were trying to colonize northeast Florida for the non-catholic French. I was a non-commissioned officer who was captured by the spanish and was imprisoned in St Augustine where I was ultimately executed. My highschool friend was one of the spanish soldiers who actually tried to save me but in the end could do nothing but watch me hang.

I have some wonderful views of the revolution and your picture/avatar takes me straight back to some of those views. Most of mine revolve around New York...Manhattan and upstate, but there are reasons why. To relive it, I can tell you, your simple mention of it is getting me there...and I'm shut down for the duration!

Love and light...

usetawuz said:
I have some wonderful views of the revolution and your picture/avatar takes me straight back to some of those views. Most of mine revolve around New York...Manhattan and upstate, but there are reasons why. To relive it, I can tell you, your simple mention of it is getting me there...and I'm shut down for the duration!

Love and light...
I like your use of the term, "views", because it is a non-committal way of describing images that may have been real; but may also have been imaginary. When you described having views of New York, Manhattan and upstate, I was reminded of my own view on a hill overlooking Kips Bay as British ships were unloading troops about a half mile below us -- Then, the mad dash up Broadway to Fort Washington and finally to Fort Lee as we wondered when we were going to stop and fight. Much later I have a view of the Hudson River from Constitution Island across from West Point with intermittent duties as a courier between there, the Stamford fortification and Danbury, Connecticut. Sound familiar? But, like you, I know my history, and all that I see could be fantasies based on what I know. There is, clearly, no way for us to validate. Yet, you are correct in suggesting that these particular fantasies are more meaningful than other events during that time, which we know of, yet, feel no particular connection to. Instead, we are drawn to a somewhat less glorious period in garrison. Could we have been members of the 5th Connecticut Regiment of the Continental Line?

Hi Nightrain. I guess "view" is fairly noncommittal, and is certainly acceptable when discussing this stuff around those who may not think along these lines. In my usage, the view brings not only a vision or picture of a place in time other than our own, it also has some element of power or emotional charge that separates it from any other imaginary or writing-induced description or mental imagery. I know what you mean in saying that we really have no way to evaluate the legitimacy of these views, but when they come with the additional charge, I pay attention and begin to catalog the impressions to fit them into my time tree.

By power or emotional charge, I am trying to convey the additional impact received simultaneously with the view...leaving the Broad Way heading north and following small indian trails into the dense brush and woods...a short cut, the British don't know this area; feeling sweat glue my shirt to my body under the uniform coat as we race up the trail; the sound of my heavy breathing forced by the activity; I switch the heavy musket from my right to my left hand and notice a missing button on the dirty, unwashed left cuff with a frayed edge; a memory of shooting rabbits at the edge of the meadow we are passing and the suddenly sad thought that nothing will ever be the same.

To me this added definition gives the view a hook that helps me recognize it as part of my past in some way...it is a memory...I was there...who I was, I do not yet know, but the truth of the feeling invoked is palpable. The view can be but a moment or two in duration, but like a memory, it is multidimensional...all that was going through my head at the time I was seeing what I am now being shown takes me into a life I lived, not as usetawuz, but as someone else in another time.

My memories seem to be primarily localized in New Jersey, Manhattan and Long Island (Brooklyn Heights?), although there are several "views" of the Palisades, and while I feel an emotion, it is fairly vague in comparison to the others described. West Point is familiar, but not only from revolutionary times. Alot of views predate the war and seem to be kids play and hunting...the trails were like my backyard and we roamed all over Manhattan particularly and Weehawken...Connecticut doesn't ring any bells of familiarity, unfortunately.

usetawuz said:
By power or emotional charge, I am trying to convey the additional impact received simultaneously with the view...leaving the Broad Way heading north and following small indian trails into the dense brush and woods...a short cut, the British don't know this area; feeling sweat glue my shirt to my body under the uniform coat as we race up the trail; the sound of my heavy breathing forced by the activity; I switch the heavy musket from my right to my left hand and notice a missing button on the dirty, unwashed left cuff with a frayed edge; a memory of shooting rabbits at the edge of the meadow we are passing and the suddenly sad thought that nothing will ever be the same.
May I exclaim how remarkable and profound it is that your "views", or snippets of memory are absolutely familiar and on target. I thought for a while that you were, somehow, psychically aware of my own impressions. You were, indeed, there. You must also be aware of the strong feeling of camaraderie for those who have shared your experiences. Huzzah!

Nightrain1 said:
May I exclaim how remarkable and profound it is that your "views", or snippets of memory are absolutely familiar and on target. I thought for a while that you were, somehow, psychically aware of my own impressions. You were, indeed, there. You must also be aware of the strong feeling of camaraderie for those who have shared your experiences. Huzzah!
Nightrain, thank you for your verification...with your experiences and views mirroring mine to the extent you thought I was psychically reading you, I can't think of anything we could come up with that could confirm it any further, short of matching up birthmarks with mortal wounds!. With your reenactments have you met others who mirror our experiences? I know it isn't something one would customarily broadcast, but it would be really interesting to see how many have experienced any sort of view into their past experiences.

Brothers in arms...literally, forever! And doubly remarkable as it was in the campaign that evolved from the "shot heard 'round the world"...a giant leap forward for humanity. Keep your powder dry, brother!

usetawuz said:
With your reenactments have you met others who mirror our experiences? I know it isn't something one would customarily broadcast, but it would be really interesting to see how many have experienced any sort of view into their past experiences.
Surprisingly, in the 32 years that I've been involved, I've only met a couple of friends, who have openly mentioned anything like reincarnation. However, I just lost one close friend, who mutually shared what we thought was a memory of stealing a vessel from Cos Cob Harbor on the Connecticut shore of Long Island Sound, while the British briefly occupied the town. He and I located the original 5th Connecticut garrison hut foundations on Constitution Island. Other recreators usually disguise any "ohmygosh" experiences as "time warp" sensations, of which I've had many. It's more a sensation of no longer being in the present, and is sometimes like dejavu.

I wonder if the timewarp sensation is actually a deja vu...same appearances, thoughts, energies, mutual intent...all of which could easily make one slip back into a previous role. Was you most recent Monmouth Courthouse reenactment actually over 90 degrees and leaving everyone dehydrated and mosquito infested? If so that is almost too accurate to believe. Regardless, a great experience.

Take care.

usetawuz said:
Was you most recent Monmouth Courthouse reenactment actually over 90 degrees and leaving everyone dehydrated and mosquito infested?
Yup! It was well over 90 degrees and more humid than you can imagine. Being in a civilian role, this time, enabled me to divest myself of the tight fitting wool coat and wore only "small clothes" and apprentice cap. Every time I've been there, it has been the same way. Men and horses were passing out. However, I must admit that I have never had any personal connection to the place, as I have with other places, like Bedford, New York or Ticonderoga or Montreal, Canada.

Nightrain...the impression I got was that it was dramatically similar to the event I witnessed all those years ago...not that I was reading you because I have never had that talent, but rather because the impression I got was that it was the same as when I saw it. For some reason, I was dialed into the politics of the situation while still feeling the fiasco inherent in the strategery. What should have been a resounding colonial victory was simply the removal of the british forces from the front...without any formal retreat or victory.

Overseas...I do not understand your comment, although I am getting a positive sense of your energy...and again, I do not usually sense these things. What is it about what we've said that caused you to respond? It must resonate with you somehow?

Just my main reason for being here usetawuz, had to search in the past for the origin of situations in this life to understand them. It can be fun or sometimes confronting to go there for a while but I don't wanna dwell in it. But it's instructive.

Nevertheless always on a spiritual quest ;) .

I think another reason I am interested in pl is to put my dreams into some sort of context...well nightmares more accurately. Why would a child from a stable loving home experience horrific nightmares from toddlerhood? Most of which center around people trying to kill me?

I agree TLD...putting it in perspective is key to me. While my dreams do not house any negativity, there is always a need to find a reason for whatever we perceive that can't find an answer that is either believeable or helpful. I assure you that if you continue looking you will indeed find resolution...sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

I found a key to a longterm question answered by one of our fellow posters...I had been researching it since 2006, and this individual's parallel research three days ago contributed to the answer that had eluded me and its addition to the equation put the matter to bed. It also ended a stack of karmic stain.

I experienced past lives (2 of them) briefly via a hypnotherapy session. I did not go back. I was skeptical, also I thought that if past lives are true (as I now believe them to be) they were something that we are meant to leave well alone.

My rationale at the time being, if we were meant to know we would have easier access to this knowledge.

I am now gravitating toward further sessions of hypnotherapy with the rationale that as I am blessed in this life with the knowledge of past lives, further knowledge could enable me to make some additional payments at the bank of Karmic debt, thereby avoiding a bit of pain (and a painful life or so) later on.

But I wonder, is this cheating?

Lawyer Daggett said:
...further knowledge could enable me to make some additional payments at the bank of Karmic debt, thereby avoiding a bit of pain (and a painful life or so) later on.
But I wonder, is this cheating?
I think that the very fact of us realizing our past lives could, somehow, be part of the plan. It certainly seems to be a wide-spread and growing phenomenon, which appears to be accelerating. I tend to believe that we should do whatever is possible with the resources now available. And, if, for some reason, we are still blocked; then, we should not make ourselves miserable by forcing the issue. Cheating would be to have all the answers, when we are meant to be learning something. We certainly don't have all the answers; but, maybe, we are meant to know enough to help each other along.

Back