• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Traits that carry over

Stef and all,

This is probably one of the most interesting posts I've ever seen in this forum. I truly believe that our eyes are the "key to our soul"...therefore our eyes, or their essence, transcend each lifetime. I was once the biggest skeptic about this whole reincarnation business, until I found my connection to the past. I saw a picture of a woman who I think I was once upon a time. In fact, the resemblance between us was uncanny. I was enthralled by the whole thing. The scariest part was that our eyes looked nearly identical - same color, shape, glare, etc. The events in her life mirrored mine as well - and her lover looked nearly identical (especially through the eyes) to a man that I had an affair with. It was very overwhelming for me to come to terms with this - something so surreal and inexplicable. I am by all means a very skeptical, matter of fact person...I never delve into things that aren't explainable....but I cannot deny what I saw.

This is a very interesting thread. I have always believed that the eyes are a window to the soul too. I have found that sometimes the eyes are the same. However, one of the first times that I was regressed I noticed that sometimes other physical traits continue through lifetimes too. There is a person in my lifetime that has hair like Harry Potter. It is just untamable. I mean this man tries his best, but it is just all over. When I was regressed the same person in this other lifetime had the same hairdo. It was almost comical to me after the regression.

I like what's been said about the eyes. I have always been told that my eyes are intense. I have also been told that they are warm and expresive. They are dark brown and when I am angered they go jet black and scares alot of people. I "read" alot of people and the fact that I don't blink scares alot of people. Because I do hair for a living I have to look at alot of people and alot of time get the feeling they do not want to open up to me. I have 3 pairs of different color contacts and have had better luck at getting people to open up. But I like having the natural eyes for when I don't want to have my space invaded or if I want to be "guarded" against people. my son has the same instense eyes but his are green and his go jet black when he is angered, he has been told that he is unapproachable and is quite the loner in his peer groups and often is left out of social circles like I was as a kid, I used to think we might have some pychoatic notions, but don't think that anymore. We just can see things I guess others can't or maybe we can let others see into us. who knows.

The eyes are truely the windows of the soul. There was a popular song a few years ago I believe it was the search or something like that. "I look into your eyes, I can see forever, the search is over, you were with me all the while".

Fitsy - I like that song,

To everyone else- I have a question that may be silly, It's about the mirror exercise. I don't want to sound like a smart alec but would like to know if the type of mirror matters, I want to try it and don't know if you are sitting, standing looking in the bathroom mirror or sitting or lying down holding a hand-held mirror, I know it may be crazy but I worry about some details, I just neede to know if the type of mirror is important and should you be comfortable like when you're meditating?
Thank you peace!

Physical resemblance and past lives

People often use physical resemblance as an argument that they have been a certain person in an earlier life. I think this can be true, but I also think that it's a littel bit more complicated than that.

My experience from my past life memories is that the physical resemblance is stronger in those lives where my personality has been similar. The past life persona who I think resembles my personality most looks like he could have been my brother. Other incarnations that has got a totaly different personalty also looks different.

This is kind of strange because it implicates that there could be a connection between looks and personality, which feels strange.

Some people say that there is something in the eyes that is similar not the general physical apperance. To me there is something that is similar in all my incarnations, but I can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe the essence? Or the air of the person?

Does anyone else has any experience of how their personalites and physical apperances resembles each other?

I believe there is a strong connection between looks and personality, and I also believe that some people can look very similar from life to life.

Especially the eyes remain the same, even if they're a different color, but the expression is unchanging. That's why it's so easy sometimes to recognize a person from the past by their eyes. I had this happen to me several times.

And I know that my own appearance has stayed pretty much the same throughout at least 5-6 lives that I remember, and those lives are spread over a very large period of time. For instance, I always had dark hair and dark eyes, in every lifetime. It would be strange for me to imagine myself otherwise, even if that's narrow-minded.

And I also met some people who I recognized mainly because of their looks, which didn't change. One person I knew had the same red hair for many lifetimes. And the exact same expression in the eyes.

Oh yes, and I forgot to add about the personality issue: for example, red hair will fit a very active, quick-tempered person.

And I found that some guys that I know who are blond and blue-eyed are extremely faithful to their girlfriends; now, I'm not saying that brunettes can't be faithful, but still, there's a connection. Although I don't know about those people's past lives, so I'll leave it here.

...for example, red hair will fit a very active, quick-tempered person.

Hm. I may have to disagree with you on this overly broad and simplistic generalization. What comes next? Blond women are not as intelligent as brunettes? I have red hair and am known to be a very patient, slow-to-anger person. My blond wife, however, can snap someone's head off before I even know something has offended her.

I personally think this is just labels...though I do not know my personalities from my other lives, I don't think it has anything to do with our personalities, at least for most of us.
I mean is a beautiful person physically always have a beautiful personality?

Obvious answer is no, and because people are not good looking mean they have a ugly personality? Nope...

You can find the most beautiful personalities in the people who physically aren't atractive...

A beautiful person physically with a ugly personality can change to have ab eautiful personality one day, but do their physical looks change? Nope. Though u will prob. look at them in a new way, since their different in a positive way now.

Also what is beauty and uglyness, depends on each person's opinion, and that would include everything.

Meaning I may think someone is amazing guitarist, but another person may say that person can't play to save their life for example.

I have seen people try to label the colors of aura's too...

Saying this color means your the athletic type, or this color means this...

It was on some talk show, and one person was on the show and read this persons aura, and based off her meanings to colors, she told the person hat type of person she was, and was totally off according to the person.

Don't get me wrong or nothing, I am not shutting out the possibility that a personality can be connected to a physical look for some people who may choose to incarnate in that way for a reason, but I wouldn't go around thinking I knew people's personalities based off their looks.

This is just my opinion though, but I think this is a interesting question you have brought up.

[This message has been edited by Frosty_Mon (edited 09-08-2002).]

In the past lives I know about I have looked very different. It would be very hard to draw ANY kind of parallel between my past lives personas based on looks.

When recognizing people from my current life in scenes from past lives, it's always been the energy field that tipped me off, not the eyes. In fact, there are two family members that I confuse very easily because they have such similar energy fields. One died before the other was born and I am definitely wondering...

yozhik

I did write this in another post but since it fits this topic I will post it here as well.

In my past live and this life the phycical description is identical height colouring build,eye color
to read a discription of my past life person you could be reading the description of me today.

To look at a photo of my past self there are alot of similar facial charactristics the same nose mouth general look in the eyes

but at the same time (I know this probably sounds like a contradiction to some)
I look the same but look different

It is something that I just can't explain or put into words.
maybe others here that have experienced the same thing can sum it up better.

As to looking the same if your personality is the same
I can see the sense in that as I have basically the same personality now as I did then.

Another thought is that you will always have the same similar personality from life to life that is who you are.
But you won't always act the same or do the same things.
what was possible in one life may not be possible in another.
This largely depends on the era country culture you are born in to, Status in the community etc financial advantage or disavantage.
These are all things that can change drastically from life to life and play a big part in how you live a certain life.
This does not change the personality of the person deep down
just the way there able to handle or do things.

[This message has been edited by Brooke (edited 09-08-2002).]

I have had dark hair in each one of my three favorite past lives (and this one). And I have been around the same height (5'3" to 5'5").
Each was a bit different also. In one, I had thinnish hair, was on the thin side myself and had blue eyes. In another, I had really thick wavy hair and green eyes and was a little more muscular. In another, I had dark black straight hair and brown eyes.
In this one I got gray eyes and with the blessing of Miss Clariol, I have blonde hair (born dark brown).
But in each memory or regression, I can recognize people by a look they give me. It is in their eyes. Just like when you meet someone in this one and just cant look away.

I look nearly identical to how I looked in my most recent past life (including height and weight), except that my hair is a little redder and my eyes are green instead of blue. But when I'm dressed in 18th century clothes--including my white wig--everyone knows who I am and acts so nervous and silly that it surprises and tickles me.

Personality wise, I'm about the same, but I've learned from my past life that people are not to be used as stepping stones to success, and I'm also not as acid-tongued as I was before (although I can be if I'm heckled enough). I think I'm more patient and relaxed, too.

I'm not sure why we choose the looks we do. Perhaps we simply need something to be familiar?

Steph

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 09-08-2002).]

Thanks for all interesting replys!
I didn't mean to turn this in a discussion about if people with one colour of the hair should have a certain type of personality or that beautiful people should have a beautiful inside. We all know that those stereotypes are not true.

It's still interesting why we choose to look a certain way. If we work a lot with problems from one of our past lives maybe we want to look similar to that past life persona, just to remind our selves of that personality? Or maybe not?

From reading all your answers it seems like somepeople remember that they look similar and others remember looking very different. This resembles my own memories of sometimes looking similar and sometimes looking different.

Brooks suggestion that we have a similar personality in all our lives is interesting. I remeber having personalities that surprise me very much and I don't find them similar to me at all, but still maybe other people would see similarities I can't see.

One thing I've learned from remembering my past lives is that your personality affects the course of your life a lot. In some lives I've been working with the same themes had the same profession and still those lives have been extreamly different because I was a totally different person. I choose a totaly different personality because I wanted to experience the same situation from another perspective.

Veronica

To add my 2 cents worth: My redheaded wife has the patience of a saint and is extremely slow to anger. Thank God LOL

From what I can remember I have always been dark haired and dark eyed. Always. But that is only what I remember there is much I just don't remember.

As Andrew McTavish, Civil War soldier, I was well over 6 feet tall and heavy. As the English man who lived and died in the early part of the 20th century I was about maybe 5'5 or 5'6 and very slim. ( This time I am 5'10.) I did catch a glimpse of the Englishman in a dream once as he walked past a glass window. He had the same look in his eyes I see on the mirror every morning when I am shaving.

As a female servant in Colonial America I was about 5'6 or 5'7 and had the same eye- look as well.

Lately I have had a couple glimpses of a Native American man in the Great Lakes region of the US. Very tall, very strong and of course dark hair and eyes. But I have not been able to really see the eyes yet.

Hi Sikander,
When I strted this tread quite long ago. I think that I was thinking much along your lines.

In my own case I think that I might have choosen a similar look in lives that are strongly connected.

It's the same for personality. It's hard to put the finger on it but there seem to be a core. On the other side my personality has changed a lot between lives too.

One example when one of my lives ended I felt that I had failed as a man. As a child in that life I had been artistic an sensibel. The only profession that existed in my familily was military. My father was very worried about my weakness. In my next life I had an almost the opposite personality. I loved adventure and was quite wild and I didn't care about what others thought so I usually didn't notice when I hurt people. Ironically my father in this new life were more like I was in my last life so we didn't understand each other much. I had to run away to join the military. In the first life I had a bad experience that crushed me. It was like my soul thought OK, I'll try this again but from a different angel.

Veronica

Hi Veronika...

Interesting question.

I am Asian now but in the life just prior to this one, I was Scottish, with long blonde hair and blue eyes. From what I know of my prior lives, I've had as many Caucasian lives as I have Asian and other minorities (Chinese, American Indian, Mixed-race African-American).

In my personal opinion, I believe it's my eyes that have remained the same throughout my different lives - not necessarily the colour, but the expression in my eyes. But there is one thing I find very odd about my eyes. There were times when people have asked me if I was mixed-blood Caucasian. Strange because I'm 100% Asian.

I have been told that when I'm standing out in the sunlight, my eyes look Hazel coloured or very light brown with "specks of gold". (Shrugs...don't know). I have looked in the mirror countless number of times but I can't see anything but a pair of brown Asian eyes staring back at me.

Perhaps it's a carry-over from my prior life as a Scottish girl. I don't know.

Cheers!

Jere

past lives and similar facial features

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about similar facial features from one life to the next. When I was a child, I had visions of a little girl. She looked basically just like I did except she had super dark brown eyes (mine are not brown), very dark, almost black hair (mine was very, light brown at the time), and her skin tones were darker as well. I remember thinking, I know that girl is me, but it can't be, her eyes, hair and skin is the wrong color. I was confused by this yet I knew that girl was me. I now realize that this was a past life memory I was experiencing. I wish I remember more about her. All I remember is that I felt she was very poor. Anyhow, the facial features were very similar. You see this time and time again with photos of people in previous lives and compared to the current life, the facial features are strikingly similar. Also, what a validation that would be to search for a previous life, find the person you remember being and then to get ahold of a photo and find that they looked just like you do now. I think that would be awesome! Any thoughts about similar facial features or first hand experiences of this?
Love to you all, gemdoctor

In my dreams, visions, and regression meditations, I've always seen Oda (at least when she had hair on her head and it wasn't when she had had it shaved off when she was in the camp) with brown hair and eyes. In this life I have large dark brown eyes and long hair that used to be exclusively brown, then began getting more of a dark blonde or golden-brown shade, with russet highlights brought out by the sun, but according to my mother my hair is now getting darker. Maybe I've always loved long hair and hated and resisted having it cut because of how I lost all of my hair before, and now it can't be long enough.

Hi All,
I know what I looked like in my most recent PL (in the 1930s) and I can't see a resemblance between the former me, (Colleen who died at age 15) and my present self...In my PL I was very skinny and had a long heart-shaped face and a very slight build...In my present life (when I was a child) I was thin,-- this is the only resemblance I can see between the old me and the present me. In this life I have a med. build, and when I was about 13, I began filling out and had "curves."-- And by the age of 14, I was on the plump side...In my PL I remained thin and petite and had a "straight up and down" figure even into my teens...In this life my face is round, and my hair and eyes are both brown.--In my PL my hair was a rusty blonde color and my eyes were hazel. In this life I have never liked my dark brown hair and dark eyes, (they seemed strange to me) and I've been a bleached blond for most of my life...In this life, instead of having thick, curly, bushy hair, I ended up with baby fine, thin (mousy) hair.-- I hated my hair in my PL because it was hard to control and seemed always to look messy.-- In this life I hate my hair because it's very fine and thin, and it has no body. (I would gladly trade my baby fine, thin hair for the full head of hair I had in my PL,-- I must have been punished for not appreciating the hair I once had...lol):rolleyes:

L&L;) ;)

I know I have the same eyes, greyish blue.
Though my past life's eyes might have been brighter,
and had a more piercing look.
I realized that when I saw my former self in a dream,
and yes, it scared me, who is he?!
Later I found a picture from myself as a 5 year old,
with exactly the same look.
Observing, serious, detached.
Though it's just a little girl in her pyamas :)

Curious Girl.

I believe we most definitely carry physical features over into other lives. I have seen it in my own story and that of son. The photos are, in my sons case, identical. When the time and place allow, I will post the photo from 1905 and the one from 1997. Its a beautiful thing!

Dr. Ian Stevenson has found that facial features carry over from one life to the next. One might think the idea is absurd, since people can reincarnate from one continent to another, but some things are the same regardless of race. Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I catch a glimpse of who I was in my previous life.

Sometimes, though, having been a different race in a previous life can change how you look in this life. Burmese children who remember being American or British Air Force pilots whose planes were shot down over Burma all have lighter skin and hair than their brothers and sisters.

what kinds of traits have you brought back?

Hi everyone...just curious.
does anyone look like their past lives in this forum?
what kind of traits have you brought back? personality? likes? dislikes? looks?

just curious,
catalina

I kind of look like my self in the 1860s, actually. When I stare in quiet, cold anger, I look like my 1860s samurai self when he got mad.

As with most of my past lives, I now have a warrior spirit, train in the martial arts, and read extensively. Another aspect I've brought over which is very major to me is the need to be with this one particular soul whom I'm waiting for...

--N.

Hi! :)

I look very, very similar to one particular past life in Ireland. My hair is shorter than it was then (it's now 5 or 6 inches past my shoulder I guess, but in that particular lifetime, it fell to my waist.), but it's still long, dark brown, and naturally curly. My eyes are very similar as well, though they are now hazel-green instead of completely green. My eyes appear to be green, but with a tiny "splash" of brown near the centre (they also change colour, which I love.).

I actually have a tiny "Marilyn Monroe" freckle that has remained above and to the right of my upper lip for the past few lifetimes. It actually looks pretty and I'm pleased to have it (I've covered it up completely with make-up a few times, but it just isn't me.), and I find it interesting that I had it also during a few lifetimes.

Personality wise, I have grown more now in the last few years than I remember ever growing before. I also had a life as a male slave, so like Techsan, I used to be a people-pleaser and did everything I was supposed to do (I was a boring, "ideal" child. I was rarely ever in trouble for anything.). Particularily since becoming a mother, I have begun to speak my mind, go against authority if necessary, and now I feel so strong. I feel like me.

My people-pleasing nature had begun even before I was a slave, and in that particular life in Ireland, it ended up costing me my life (and the man I had loved since I was a child.).

Being true to myself is a theme I have definitely carried with me through many lives, and I've decided to break the chain this time around. I will do what I want to do, not what someone else expects me to.

Oh! I have also brought fears and phobias along with me: I'm afraid of animals (even though I love them), being out at night alone, being chased, swimming among creatures in the ocean (I adore swimming but will only swim in pools), heights, spiders, and castles (I find them gorgeous and interesting, but they freak me out!).

What about you, catalina? Do you know if you are similar in certain ways to your past-life selves?

Jen. :)

I was a loner in the past and I still am.
I had flashbacks from a few past lives but I think I haven't been married in any of them.
And I still don't feel attracted to marriage in this life time,
romantic relationships are fine with me, but marriage or living together,
or raising a family, I can't imagine doing that.
In one of those flash backs I see myself as an middle aged woman
and there's a boy I take care of, I guess he's my son.
We have a kind of problematic relationship, I give him all my love and everything he needs,
but I don't get anything in return.
There's also no husband around.

I still love piano music like in the past,
and I also was quite philosphic,
but I don't know if I've ever been a writer
because in this life I write a lot.

I was an alcoholic in my past life,
thank God I'm not in this one,
but my liver still doesn't work properly,
I'm always blaming my past for that ;)

I was a train traveller in the past,
and it's still my favorite way of travelling.
Cars might be more practicle and planes a lot faster,
but I love trains :)

And my looks, I think I have this grey blue eyes for at least two life times,
and I've always been rather fair skinned.
About other things I don't have a clue.

Curious Girl.

I think the main trait that I must have brought with me from a past life is a very 'Victorian' sense of 'decency' and manners. I didn't particularly notice it until a Canadian friend of mine thought I was hilariously "British" in how proper I could be along with my unusual turns of phrase. She also used to refer to me as 'Sister Klare' because I have a very catholic streak (I wasn't brought up with religion) and I would get so embarrassed at certain things.

I'm obsessed with people being courteous and well-mannered and find examples of rudeness so unacceptable, it bothers me for days. My partner had to just shake his head at me last week when I tried bidding on ebay for the first time. When someone bid against me, I was overcome with a sense of utter thoughtlessness on the part of the bidder and spent the whole weekend exclaiming "How rude!!". :) In fact, that exclamation is probably the most frequent thing I say!

I've always felt the need to 'cover up' and not show too much flesh. I was appalled at the age of 6 when my mum suggested my brother and I strip off to our pants on the beach because we hadn't brought swimwear. I lost the fight but there's a photo of us that day and I'm kneeling up, back straight, chin in the air with my arms folded defiantly across my non-existant chest. I was mortified.

Both my brother and I are somewhat precious about the English language. We like to use it well and to it's fullest and can't abide misuse or (especially in my case) mispelling. It drives me crazy!!

It's hard to explain this entire trait/feeling that I have, but I strongly suspect it's Victorian!!

Back