• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Activities in Past Lives

Raakel

Good morning, everyone. I just came to sit down at the computer with a nice cup of coffee a couple of minutes ago, was browsing this forum, and then I suddenly wondered, because there didn't seem to be a thread about it anywhere: Are there any certain activities that any of you remember doing often, which might have been important things to do or just something like play, in any of your past lives?

As in, in one of my past lives, which I believe to have possibly taken place in Wales in the 1300's, I remember doing a lot of kitchen-related work. I remember peeling apples often, especially, and I remember my grandmother I had in that life peeling apples as well. We made pies and tarts out of these apples, and added them to other dishes as well, because apples were always abundant where we lived. I also remember seeing her card wool, and maybe I might have carded wool myself.

I think I can recall spinning flax or wool, or maybe both at different times, in that past life and in another one as well. I also remember sewing a lot, in more than one past life, and sewing almost everything for my family and myself, such as clothes and shoes, etc. In one of my past lives in ancient times, it also comes to me that I must have had to push aside a sort of long, heavy curtain made of animal skin with the fur intact (the fur faced the inside of the house, I guess for extra warmth, like a tapestry) to get out of the type of house I lived in. When that memory comes to mind, because it was such a constant thing to have to do, whenever I got out of the house (we always kept the curtain down, even in the heat of summer, because mosquitoes would get inside our dwelling if we kept the hide tied up), I always specifically remember that sudden burst of blue-white natural light, sometimes tinged with light gold in the summer, of the sudden brightness of the outdoors, after the comparative darkness inside the house.

Good morning Raakel, looks like we're doing exactly the same thing right now!:laugh:

Talking about past life activities, I have to say I remember travelling a lot. I don't know wether this memory belongs to one life only or to different ones though.

I have a faint memory of a big boat journey that took me overseas, but I can't tell where exactly. What I remember is that I know I was moving to have a better life, to escape from poverty. I always had the feeling I was an immigrant more than once in my past lives, but I guess that was pretty common even until fifty years ago.

I remember being new to countries and people and having to start from scratch more than once.

Curiosity: in my present family many members migrated to different countries in the past and I travel for a living!

Back to past life activities, my husband always tells me he's pretty sure he must have been a doctor or surgeon in a past life. He doesn't have any knowledge of medicine but he always knows how to cure or fix almost anything and he's also good with injections.

A few years ago I cut my left index finger very deeply while I was chopping vegetables:eek:. We were on holidays abroad and very far from the hospital(we didn't even know how to get there!). He literally picked up the little missing bit I had chopped off, put it back in place and tied a bendage around it. When we finally arrived to the local hospital the doctor who visited me thought I had already seen a doctor because according to him my finger had been perfectly fixed...

You can hardly see a scar now!

That's really cool, Purple! And I love your profile picture, by the way. Irises are my favorite flower. I bet your husband was a surgeon or something similar in a past life. I like how how he reacted to your badly cut finger. :)

Raakel, Yes for me it is working here on my ranch. Especially around the horses. Their smell is so deep and rich in memories. Working in the barn around hay is the same way. Its like I'm so very comfortable, even nourished by them in a spiritual way.

It is funny you mention Iris. They are my most favorite flower also. And it is related to my last past life. I believe we brought Iris clumps with us from Germany in the 1860s. I have been infatuated with them since I was a child growing up on the farm my great grandfather built. Little did I know that I was my great grandfather and that his (my) wife planted them. What is most special is that several years ago I was able to dig many of these original flowers (their descendants)and bring them to my ranch one mile down the road. They are still growing! And each spring when they bloom, their fragrance and beauty take me to that time and that love.

Thanks for your post, you've made me think of some wonderful things...it is especially needed here right now, as winter has been pretty tough. And now the thought of the "ladies" blooming gives me hope!!

Tman

This is a great question, and one that sort of hit me between the eyes.

If my hunches are correct, I seem to be always involved in one crusade or another; fighting for the "just" cause, or protecting something, oftentimes taking on more than I could handle. Sometimes I'll sadly discover that I'm fighting for a cause that doesn't turn out to be quite so "just" after all.

I'm most comfortable when aboard a sailing ship of war, flying into battle, riding a war horse or fighting graft and corruption from the pulpit. Sometimes, I have to face the enemy alone or be traveling alone in order to pass along information. I seem to work best alone, while craving the company of like-minded people, who tend to be warrior-philosopher types.

It seems that I really don't like war, but I love the good fight, if that makes any sense. I love military music composed before 1840, especially the pipes. And, it seems that I can't accept any rank or authority, in spite of my skill at planning and military tactics. I feel as though I have abused my authority somewhere in time.

Of course, there is no proof for any of these flashbacks, or dreams; and one might even call them fantasies. But, I've done similar things in this life, and there seems to be a pattern that includes excessive idealism and comradship as well as war.

-Nightrain

The past lives that I have remembered thus far have all involved me being in the military in some way or fighting in battles. I'd have to say that this is the activity I remember doing most of all in the lives that I have remembered. It seems that this has featured very heavily in all of my lives except this one, and the first memories I've had of all of these lives have involved some sort of combat.

sarque said:
The past lives that I have remembered thus far have all involved me being in the military in some way or fighting in battles. I'd have to say that this is the activity I remember doing most of all in the lives that I have remembered. It seems that this has featured very heavily in all of my lives except this one, and the first memories I've had of all of these lives have involved some sort of combat.
Sarque...We have a saying among combat vets, "Welcome home, Brother!"

And, Raakel...Thanks!

-Nightrain

This is a great thread :thumbsup:

One thing that comes to mind is a flash I had a few years ago while on a dig. I was standing alone in a corner of the dig and digging a hole in the ground (as archaeologist do :rolleyes: :D ) when I suddenly had this very clear flash of being a monk doing exactly the same. I had a rather clear vision of being behind the walls of a monastery and rather close to them as well. I also had the feeling that I was being watched by a superior. I feel I was alone (except for the superior), but it was bright daylight, so I didn't get the sense of something suspicious going on. My feelings as the monk were quite the same as the archaeologist: I was working rather fast and systematically and didn't really think much. I did have a clear sense of wearing a brown cloak that wasn't a very practical outfit for the job and constantly got in the way.

The image of the digging monk often comes back to me when I'm on a dig, but nothing new comes up. I hope to learn more though, since it is a bit of a mystery what he was digging and why he was being watched on the job :)

Sunniva said:
This is a great thread :thumbsup:
The image of the digging monk often comes back to me when I'm on a dig, but nothing new comes up. I hope to learn more though, since it is a bit of a mystery what he was digging and why he was being watched on the job :)
Hi Sunniva,

The thought occurred to me that Monks during medieval times were the most academic practitioners in Europe for centuries. They are known not only as scribes; but also botanists and chemists and other sciences that did not have names at that time. It certainly seems plausible that they could have been involved with Archaeology. During the crusades Knights Templar, as warrior monks, were quite accomplished at finding and preserving lost treasures of the holy land.

Interesting possibility? On the other hand, you could have been planting. Various orders of monks operated in much the same way as any male society, since they often gave the most dirty jobs to the new members.

-Nightrain

Hi,

I'm intrigued by the Knights Templar. 'Warrior monks' is a term that seems to be familiar, it has quite a few times popped up in my thoughts. I also adore old monasteries, churches and mostly buildings that have a spiritual meaning or background. I once (one or two years ago) had the feeling my guide was a monk with a big belly and red cheecks :laugh:.

I know I did my military service in the nineteenth century. Never went to army in this life but I still love to wear military clothes: trousers or shirt (but not the two at the same time though e!e). And I have been in a reading circle in that life. The reading remained, just like looking at the stars )*(.

Sorry Nighttrain, I missed your reply :)

Your suggestions are quite sensible, although I do not think I was involved with the Knights Templar. I've had other memories of my life as a monk called Nikolas and it's somewhat later than the Knights Templar.

As to what he was digging. I think he was probably either working in a garden - or perhaps something slightly more sinister - digging graves. Whether it was during the plague or just 'ordinary' hospital practice at the monastery I don't know. :)

Sunniva said:
I've had other memories of my life as a monk called Nikolas and it's somewhat later than the Knights Templar.
...working in a garden - or perhaps something slightly more sinister - digging graves. Whether it was during the plague or just 'ordinary' hospital practice at the monastery I don't know. :)
Hi Sunniva!

Me'thinks burial duty does sound more likely. A sordid business, at best.

-Nightrain

Newfound PL information confirms me that my last post in this thread wasn't far off. In the 18th century I got my pietistic formation in a monastery-school before entering in different universities. I was a Prussian aristocrat back then and later a knight of justice in the Order of Saint-John.

What an interesting thread. Now as for myself I see two threads running thru my present life which now is so seemingly compatably together, and which come from my various previous past lives.

One activity and interest in this present life which comes from how many of my previous past lives in some indigenous group of people like the Native Americans is my interest and yearning for wilderness - deep wilderness. I live for my times that I can just go and live in the wilderness surrounded by the various wild animals of the wilds. How many times do I feel more alone here in society surrounded by people then ever when am in the wilderness all by myself but surrounded by all the other inhabitants of the wilds. In a recent psychic reading, the person said in a previous Native American life that I had a way with and communicating with the animals. Guess this could be a reason behind possibly with my way and experieces with the grizzlies and the other various animals in the wilds which how much more do I trust it seems then people. It is winter now and I miss my Grizzly friends I have to say. Now ever since I was small I have had this such intense desire to go live in the wilds and to live in the wilds in the old ways. Some of my closest friends share this desire for the wilderness also which have been with in previous past lifes also it seems.

The other thread is my more solitary and spiritual interest in life stemming from a past life as a Franciscan Monk in Europe it seems. It seems how much have I brought forward that life as a monk seeking the spiritual in my solitary ways with my longing of the wilderness from my previous Indigenous and Native American Lifes. So like you Sunniva, was a monk in a previous life and it must of been a good life to have still such a hold on me in this present life. Now even though as a monk, I was in the Franciscan Order, I have also been so intrigued by the Knights Templar. And to end, for myself, just how absolutely wonderful is it to be able to just be alive and enjoy life for life offers so incredibly much.

kmatjhwy said:
In a recent psychic reading, the person said in a previous Native American life that I had a way with and communicating with the animals.
I love the simplicity of American Natives kmathjhwy and their respect for nature. Humans have since long time lost a lot of their intuitive abilities due to 'modern' evolutions which is a shame!

Drawing was always an interest of mine. I think it came from a past life spent in the scriptorium of a monastery creating those wonderful illustrated medieval books.

It was a Buddhist teacher somewhere who said that to know one's past or future lives, one need only look at this one. Without adequate proof, I must say that I agree with this to a certain extent with the qualification that what we are today is merely an indication of what we may have been, and what we may end up being in the future.

My own present life has, clearly to me, been indicative of trends not developed in this present life, but rather affecting everything I do in this life. It would be personally fulfilling to go into detail, but I'll suffice here to limit my observation to a simple opinion, that we choose to do whatever is most comfortable and familiar to us, regardless of the discomfort and stress that is involved. We see this in daily life when we choose to stay with a bad situation, because we fear what will happen if we leave it.

One of the reasons I believe so strongly in the Reincarnation paradigm, is because our preferences and choices are so strong and evident from the very first moment of our birth, and we remain so strongly immersed in our subconscious identity that nothing in this life can change it. And, when we do manage to change some things that are so ingrained in us, we often find that the new circumstance is somehow familiar and comfortable as well.

With this in mind, I see no fault in creatively imagining that we were once walled up in a monastery or convent; or, that we were in the cockpit of a plane, tank or warship. For some of us, being closer to the earth was all that we wanted to be. For others, war and martyrdom were strangely familiar. For some, the admiration of a village was once home, while others felt safer hidden in the anonymity of a larger complex.

Each person's story is worthy of note, whether there is evidence for it or not. Within each of us lies a novel, and no one should hesitate keeping a journal of their inward thoughts. If not entertaining for others, such practice is certainly therapeutic for the self.

Part of this post comes from an earlier post in another thread, but one of the strongest activities comes from my understanding and love of Photography, and it feels like I had done this before!

Years ago when I was in High School, I was on the newspaper staff as the Staff Photographer and also the Photography Club President, now this was before digital, so I had to take the pictures, mix the chemicals, develop the negatives and print the photo's, all of which I had learned to do at the age of 12.

I finagled it into a successful business where I sold the photo's to the school, made up invoices and then used the money I earned to buy more equipment (2 camera's and a flash), films, chemicals and papers, now I wonder where all of this knowledge came from to run a Photography business so early in life?

When I wasn't at school, I carried an old police scanner in my car and used it to find news breaking stories to photograph and write stories about, enough that I worked free lance for the evening newspaper in our city.

So go figure?

Good Post Nightrain and how much do I agree with your above post. I personally like what that Buddhist Teacher had said

that to know about one's person's past or future lives, that they just have to look at this one. Yes everyone has a story

to tell. Thanks for posting what you did for well said and do agree. Have a Good Day!

I have had two distinct recollections received during waking moments which lent themselves to immediate and conscious analysis. Both of them include bodies and hands viewed from my eyes, but belonging to another individual, or incarnation. One was as a small (young?) revolutionary soldier running, sweating and carrying a heavy smoothbore, flintlock rifle and having to switch the gun from one hand to another while running. I could keep up with the bigger men, I was just frustrated with having difficulty with the load. The other was as a laborer who felt old and tired and my very large, calloused, worn right hand was unbuttoning my cod-piece...it never occurred to me that one would unbutton it from the bottom! Not that I have thought a great deal about the use of a cod-piece...but I found it somewhat remarkable nonetheless. Note that the visions were accompanied with the underlying feelings the incarnations had at the time I saw them.

Upon further review, there are probably many more that I overlooked at the time I received them and which have become some form of memory, but which didn't differ enough from my current reality to seem to have come from another lifetime.

usetawuz said:
...carrying a heavy smoothbore, flintlock rifle and having to switch the gun from one hand to another while running.
Does this look familiar? :thumbsup:Charleville_1766.jpg

/monthly_2010_12/Charleville_1766.jpg.5673cb4305c6c1bacaae2cd8de5372e6.jpg

Nightrain1 said:
Does this look familiar? :thumbsup:
As a matter of fact! And the under side of the stock a few inches in front of the flintlock assembly on mine was hit or somehow damaged and was rough on my hands.

I've heard the english issue gun was called a brown bess...was there any standard issue colonial gun? If not, what was the one you showed me called? Is yours authentic?

usetawuz said:
As a matter of fact! And the under side of the stock a few inches in front of the flintlock assembly on mine was hit or somehow damaged and was rough on my hands.
I've heard the english issue gun was called a brown bess...was there any standard issue colonial gun? If not, what was the one you showed me called? Is yours authentic?
The photo that I sent before was of a French Charleville musket, which was issued after 1778, which fires a .69 caliber ball. However, the Brown Bess (shown below) was the preferred weapon (also my favorite), and was used before and during 1778-1779. It fires a .75 caliber ball and can be differentiated from the French musket by the stock, which had a bulge where the left hand would have been placed, and was pinned to the barrel instead of banded as the French musket. The later Springfield (Mass) muskets were based on the French design and used well after the Civil War.

I have a hunch that the weapon you remember was probably a "Committee of Safety" Bess-style musket, because they had a tendency to crack at the slender wrist behind the lock as well as near the swell in front of the lock near the first pin
Brown_Bess.png
. Mine did the same about 25 years ago. Some were repaired "injun style" using a rabbit skin wrap, which was tacked along the forward and rear edges. You may have seen an Indian trade musket decorated in the same manner.

Nightrain, the one I carried had bands attaching the barrel to the stock...and I got the impression I was glad to have that gun...some attachment or reliance involved. I'm not sure if it was different than those belonging to others in my platoon or if I was just lucky to have it.

usetawuz said:
Nightrain, the one I carried had bands attaching the barrel to the stock...and I got the impression I was glad to have that gun...some attachment or reliance involved. I'm not sure if it was different than those belonging to others in my platoon or if I was just lucky to have it.
What you carried would have most certainly been a French Charleville, or a similar piece; which means that your memory would have been from the period after 1778, when France began supplying arms and uniforms to the cause. The feeling of attachment you had to the weapon would have been similar to being given a major promotion. There were few enough to go around, and they were entrusted only to men who were known to stand firm in the face of the world's greatest army.

Nightrain1 said:
What you carried would have most certainly been a French Charleville, or a similar piece; which means that your memory would have been from the period after 1778, when France began supplying arms and uniforms to the cause. The feeling of attachment you had to the weapon would have been similar to being given a major promotion. There were few enough to go around, and they were entrusted only to men who were known to stand firm in the face of the world's greatest army.
That all feels right. The woolen uniform jacket was hot and dirty, it had lost at least one button and a cuff was frayed, but that doesn't mean it wasn't relatively new...it could look alot worse through a single battle.

Interestingly, I have always been a good shot...on my first use of a rifle as a kid I hit the bull's eye and the adults had me do it again and again...they said I made windage and elevation corrections automatically and were amazed.

While shooting may be an innate talent, I tend to attribute it to a previous existence. There are technically so many conscious decisions to make in striking a spot at a distance that it seems impossible without some education...unless one had some intense training previously which became habit. Odd to note that I do not, in this lifetime, have any educated understanding of how to shoot. I consciously choose to hit the target and let the tasks necessary to make it happen occur, almost by rote... and it became rote...when?

A happy byproduct of a "dead-eye" is that the best part of my golf game is putting. Just imagine the ball going into the hole and letting the putter, green and ball figure it out. Works better than practice!

Knowledge seems to be the theme of many of my lives, even the slightly more refined ones. I suspect that I might have

lived in ancient Japan, as a guard, or a researcher. In this life, I do not have a lot of street smarts, but I have good instincts for sensing the mood of my environment and being aware of when it is so calm that the air feels charged and something isn't right.

My niece and I are more like sisters than aunt and niece, she speaks of Native Americans and talks about listening to the Earth a lot so we both have similar instinctive personalities even though related through remarriages, but not by blood. It was always easy for me to keep her occupied at a younger age when she was into role playing.

In one of my past lives that I can remember fairly vividly it seems as if I was always walking. I believe this life took place right before the Civil War, during it, and shortly after it. And as far as I can remember I am always out walking in the gardens, up and down the driveway, and in the orchards.

In one life I was very carefree, like a gypsy without a caravan. I went where I wanted, did what I pleased, and I danced as I went. I could always find someone willing to buy the drinks or the meals, and I never gave more than I wanted. I could dance, or sing, or tell fortunes, whatever I wanted for a little coin or some bread and wine. I spent a great deal of time living with an elderly man who had lost his only daughter years prior. I lived at his place for some years before he passed on. He asked nothing more than company and a little help, as he had nobody left. A total free spirit, she finally met someone who sought to put no chains on her but to join her in her endless dance through life. When they did settle down, it was on their terms. I think he is my husband even in this life, as we seem to think and move through our combined lives in sync.

I'm no dancer today, at least not to any great degree, but I move my feet to rhythms sometimes on my mp3 player and sometimes in my head.

And I do so shamelessly!

Back