• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

An alternate theory..

Totoro

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Did anyone ever consider that an interest in a particular time period, items, clothing etc may be related to the possibility of never having experienced them first hand rather than being an indication of a past life memory?

Or to put it another way, perhaps your interest in whatever it is stems from "catching up" rather than remembering?

For me, I died in '46 and was born again in '74, but at the same time, I don't really think i've had a western life until this one. I've spent most of my life being interested in everything from technology, to knights of old to astronomy and physics. Granted I am highly autodidactic, but I also feel my interest is fueled by sheer novelty at having missed essentially all of western culture.
 
An interesting posit, Totoro. My interests in places in time I believe, are based in past lives, to the best of my knowledge. My asian lifetimes were low intensity, powerfully partnership based (read strong marital relationship and productivity) but low on active growth. Some of my interests, based on nothing but sheer, powerful curiosity and familiarity, are the Battle of Agincourt...not as a combatant, but as a French cleric who dealt with the women folk after the death of thousands of men, and Shakespeare...not so much the plays, but the understanding that the man from Avon didn't write them...I was the son of a player and Shakespeare, while a good actor, could not sign his name, much less know enough about court life, military and legal matters to write so well on those subjects.


I have also read of people knowing a great deal about former lives, but not because they lived them, but because they were spirit guides to those lives lived by others. Hmmm.
 
Good thread!


I have found maybe too many people mixing their interests with actual past life memories.


As for me, I know I never lived in 19 century at all, but I can distinguish the furniture from 18th century or early 20th century. I believe that's because I've watched a lot of films about 19th century, read books about it and even visited some places with authentic 19th century furniture (in this life, of course) and also because I'm generally interested in furniture and home decorating. At a split second I've even thought I did live in this century but quickly dismissed it because many of the inventions , the whole history and lifestyle of 19th century are completely unfamiliar with me.
 
It is always good to consider alternative reasons for the periods we choose to allow into our scope of interest. I have considered this possibility that it could have simply been sheer curiosity, or some kind of clairvoyance felt when entering an area or location...anything but reincarnation!


Yet, one has to ultimately consider that not all periods or locations have such an effect, and those that do are so outnumbered by those that don't have any effect on us at all, that we could not have any personal connection with them; while the periods and places we do have connections with are so specific and so personal and sometimes verifiable, that there must be a reason.


I was raised by a mother who was so very interested in the history of Detroit, and I visited the Detroit museums often. I became married to a curator at Henry Ford Museum and was exposed to Civil War reenactments often. All I cared much about were World War II planes, Religion and Philosophy. I felt no connection whatsoever to Detroit, cars, the Civil War, or any other history until I moved to Connecticut. Then, I was overtaken by an overwhelming interest in the French and Indian and Revolutionary history of the local area, developed an uncanny ability to date colonial houses and could even tell where a sword or musket had been throughout its existence.


One would have to question where that knowledge and interest stems from other than being some kind of continuation of something that has grown comfortable over a longer period than just one lifetime. Who knows for sure? I am still enough of a seeker to open my mind to all other possibilities. After all, the purpose of this Forum is discovery. Anything is possible.
 
I am quite fascinated with certain aspects of history that I don't think I've actually lived through. Such as the 1920s. I lived through that latter half, but I was just a child then.


I also love old ocean liners, ships, and the sea in general. But I do not feel any of my lives in particular relate to those subjects. Maybe, once upon a time, I used to watch ships leave and enter ports, but who knows.


I think the majority of my lives consist of mainly Western culture. I don't like the east very much, but I think this may be the result of a particularly bad life in an Asian country.
 
Hello Red Night -


I was a teenager during those years and by the late '20's I was getting into my early 20s. I have fond memories of those years but these are mainly of two things - my service aboard the Cape Horn ships and my first wife back then.


I too have an interest in ships, although not so much the old liners such as the SS Bremen, my interest is mainly on the 'Windjammers' - but that's only due to obvious reasons.


Are there any ships that you are particularly interested in?
 
Nightrain said:
Good to have you with us, Red Night! Hope you continue enjoying the Forum!
Thanks and I will. :)

Kapitan said:
Hello Red Night -
I was a teenager during those years and by the late '20's I was getting into my early 20s. I have fond memories of those years but these are mainly of two things - my service aboard the Cape Horn ships and my first wife back then.


I too have an interest in ships, although not so much the old liners such as the SS Bremen, my interest is mainly on the 'Windjammers' - but that's only due to obvious reasons.


Are there any ships that you are particularly interested in?
Mostly ocean liners. :)
 
Re Red Night: Any specific ones though?


These are some sites I had come across years ago and thought you might enjoy them:


http://www.thegreatoceanliners.com/


http://www.lastoceanliners.com/


I never served on any of the ocean liners, just two smaller passenger ships in the HAPAG service. Not so many memories of that though...it apparently wasn't as interesting to me... :laugh: - nor do I recall being too enthusiastic about landsmen. :rolleyes:
 
Thanks for the sites, thought I've been to all of them I believe! haha :)


I suppose I like the Titanic, Olympic, Majestic (Bismark), Queen Mary. Like I said, I don't think I've had any lives related to these, I just love the sea and grand ocean liners. :)
 
:)


None of those sites are my creations - only the one in my signature (and then I also have my U-Boat Site and a blog where I've collected articles and info. relating to the Shadow Self [Jungian concept]). I haven't done much work on the latter two and I'm finally getting the first totally sorted out. :laugh:
 
For me, I am interested in Egyptian and Greek mythology not the history (find it very confusing honestly). And I do not remember ever being a Greek or Egyptian. I am also currently getting interested in Cold war history and I know I didn't live to see it.


I also have an interest in monarch in Europe, aircrafts, firearms, the sea and ships (thanks to my dad, he was a ship's engineer) but all of these are related to my PL except the ships (most probably not).
 
Back
Top