• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Covid19 Thread 1 (The Elephant in the Room)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to my doctor yesterday for my monthly heart check I was asking him about my pneumonia shot I get once every five years to protect me from getting pneumonia He said that is useless with this virus this virus brings on a different type of pneumonia As we know in most cases's its not the illness the kills us its the resulting pneumonia we get from the illness and would explain why hospitals are running short of ventilators and I think that the death rate from the virus is ten times that of the flue .... its very likely our immune systems have never seen this strain of pneumonia

Last edited:
----

Tanker, am in quarantine atm (my son came down with the dreaded persistent cough Tuesday). Today the school rang me to tell me that kids with asthma shouldn't come into school. Bit late for that, they couldn't' give me any advice when I decided to keep my kids off just in case. Anyway, we are isolating the full two weeks and none of us are that ill so far -- but after that's over, if there's ANYTHING you need, we'll get to you somehow, even if I have to send a parcel to your house. You aren't alone. Will travel if we have to.
Landsend, I'm so sorry your son has the virus, and that you all have to stay in as a result. I really hope he recovers well from it, but it's good that you're all there together and can give him all the love and care he needs right now. I also hope the rest of you manage to avoid it. Do you have other family/neighbours to shop for you? I wish I could help.

Thank you for the lovely kind thought re: supplies. That's absolutely made my day. I'm fine for the moment thank you, and I daresay things will improve when shops/charities get round to organising themselves more fully. But the fact you've thought of me means a lot. Take good care of yourselves, please keep in touch and let us know how things are.

Wuhan can present as digestive rather than respiratory difficulties and illness, and seemingly may be more severe if it initially presents in this way. So, best to be on the look-out for both:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/early-symptom-coronavirus-might-be-digestive-issues-study

S&S

PS--This is my weakness area. I don't really catch colds, etc. very much, and seem to recover easily most of the time, but I am really hammered by a stomach bug if I catch it.
That's surprising to know, S&S. Take good care of yourself, and hope you stay safe.

I went to my doctor yesterday for my monthly heart check I was asking him about my pneumonia shot I get once every five years to protect me from getting pneumonia He said that is useless with this virus this virus brings on a different type of pneumonia As we know in most cases's its not the illness the kills us its the resulting pneumonia we get from the illness and would explain why hospitals are running short of ventilators and I think that the death rate from the virus is ten times that of the flue .... its very likely our immune systems have never seen this strain of pneumonia
I'd asked the same thing after my own pneumonia shot. Seems our best strategy is to keep as fit as we can under the circumstances. Here we have some good news, in that industry is getting organised to switch from their usual products and concentrate on producing ventilators. Whatever else, this virus has proved what a resourceful race we humans are.

I am in quarantine too since last Sunday. I have all the symptoms, including headache, nausea, and diarrhea. Don't feel well but not very bad. My last flu (the entire month of February) was much worse (more pain on the chest, higher temperatures, coughing until almost collapsing), so I even wonder if that had also been related to Corona or not.

I am in quarantine too since last Sunday. I have all the symptoms, including headache, nausea, and diarrhea. Don't feel well but not very bad. My last flu (the entire month of February) was much worse (more pain on the chest, higher temperatures, coughing until almost collapsing), so I even wonder if that had also been related to Corona or not.
Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy.

All:

More news, the fairer sex once again turns out to be the stronger sex (or at least the more resistant to Wuhan):

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/The-coronavirus-is-killing-far-more-men-than-women-15143405.php

Also, various bans on congregating (pun intended) raise religious freedom issues for some. This is not really an issue for me, as my church has already arranged for skype (or something similar) this coming Sunday. However, it may present more of an issue for others:

https://apnews.com/c6198ba98ea6d26b128044ea59b9b4da

Finally, on a lighter note, having kids at home full-time means that they have more time to try and raid the cookie jar. Consequently, mom's have to lay down the law:

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/moms-pantry-rules-coronavirus-viral

S&S

I have found several posts by Respiratory physicians that say the same thing..... the range of Covid 19 impacts from no symptoms to severe illness featuring pneumonia..... that is what makes it so dangerous especially now they are finding younger age groups are falling victims I know from family members who have died from pneumonia they seemed ok then the next day had pneumonia and were in real trouble

Our dedicated Doctors, Nurses and etc. are at the front-line of defense on this thing and taking casualties. They are the soldiers fighting and sometimes dying in the risk zone, and also some of the most selfless heroes. This was one of them:

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...after-working-without-gloves-due-to-shortage/

They ran out. He didn't let this stop him from helping the sick and dying. That's courage and dedication in an age that could use more of these virtues.

S&S

The way some people shop is crazy these days, even in the past during war time and spanish flu and what have you, people were limited per family member how much to buy. Not everyone can afford a car and go from place to place to buy food. I refuse to over buy I can buy for the elder and leave outside so I dont risk their health just in case. The other day on parking lot 2 people got Into a fist fight... sigh. I hope people know desinfection only help so much, only neutralize, washing hands with soap takes it away from the hands. Please, take care everyone

/Jaimie

All:

More news, the fairer sex once again turns out to be the stronger sex (or at least the more resistant to Wuhan):

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/The-coronavirus-is-killing-far-more-men-than-women-15143405.php

Also, various bans on congregating (pun intended) raise religious freedom issues for some. This is not really an issue for me, as my church has already arranged for skype (or something similar) this coming Sunday. However, it may present more of an issue for others:

https://apnews.com/c6198ba98ea6d26b128044ea59b9b4da

Finally, on a lighter note, having kids at home full-time means that they have more time to try and raid the cookie jar. Consequently, mom's have to lay down the law:

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/moms-pantry-rules-coronavirus-viral

S&S

I wouldn't gloat about men dying from this after all these are real people, real lives, and families being affected.

There is a lot of talk about many things but a cure? that is not possible... There is no cure for the cold or the flue ... only containment and that is the best we can hope for with this virus
Maybe an even bigger picture is being missed...as industries are close down.. as cities are closed done.. as whole countries are closed down.. never before even in wartime have such measures been undertaken
We have never seen anything like this before... never... we are living in times never seen before...as a result who can predict what the final outcome will be? IMO its not possible that when it's all over things will go back to how they were.. there will be broken systems all over the place that will require whole new ways..among other things many will no longer go to work and will work from home... it will be seen that the trillions of dollars spent by governments all over the world to prop up and bail out industries was not worth it for the ongoing problems it created let alone how much it will cost the average guy and on and on... There will be new ways ... I'm not sure we can trust governments to find them

Hi There and Back,

I would hope you knew me better than that by now. Gloating? I am a man as well, a husband, a father, and a grandfather. Of course I am not gloating. :mad: I am just reporting on the statistics. o_O

S&S

It's very misleading for researchers to claim they are looking for cures As I have said there is no cure for the flue or cold the best we can do is contain them In the history of mankind the only virus we have eradicated is smallpox .. there is a very big difference between eradication and a cure It took decades of a a mass global effort of vaccination that eradicated it The measles virus almost falls into the same category but because of the refusal of some parents not have there children vaccinated the measles virus has not been eradicated.. it's still around If we look at both of these examples it can be seen there are no cures only containment and that is if the virus does not mutate.. which the type we are now dealing with always does... then yearly vaccination will be required if and when we find one

Hi All,

My post got deleted, but I'm OK with that. I understand the reasons, as anything that might have political ramifications could become a flash-point in the midst of a crisis. I didn't intend it to be a "political" post, but I knew the article linked could become a springboard into politics for some.

However, it would be good if we could find a way to discuss the effect that Wuhan will have on the future. Like 9/11, this is a turning-point and the world will not be the same afterwards. 9/11 brought us long lines at the airport as well as multitudes of suicide bombers and (upon occasion) mass murders by terrorists, including Al Qaeda, Daesh, the Taliban and a host of others operating around the world--which is in a long-standing state of semi-warfare with the forces of radical Islam.

Wuhan has brought us in a short while to the brink of a worldwide depression, unless we can manage to dodge it, plus so many other changes that it boggles the mind. As I observed in an early post, Wuhan is not "the Big One", there could be worse to come. How do we stop this from happening? What can we expect in the future? It is worth thinking and talking about. So, the challenge is how to do this without violating rules about political discussions. I'm open to suggestions, especially from the moderators.

Remember, it doesn't do any good to say just keep politics out of it. Everything has a political side.

Cordially,
S&S

Cannot play this video in Spain. What the deuce?

Well, never mind. No importa.

Try one of those vpn sites to get around region lock/restriction, odd they have it blocked for people in Spain. First half of the video is in a hospital ward showing how it is really like right now in Italian hospitals.

Remember, it doesn't do any good to say just keep politics out of it. Everything has a political side.
I don't agree with this assertion.

One could equally declare that everything has its Christian side, or everything has its New-Age side, or everything has its [name your favourite topic here] side.

The fact is, people are different. You don't speak for us all.

South Australia, Tasmania, Western Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory have all closed their borders. New South Wales have gone into lockdown. I probably live in one of the safest states right now (even though we have reported cases) and now, **** is beginning to get real.

And guess who is on the frontline making everyone gets their **** food? Me.. on a checkout manning a till, like thousands of others around Australia.

Another question for all.. how are you keeping your mental health up? I am beginning to get a little low, likewise some of my friends too...

Eva x

I'm only venturing out to the chemist and the supermarket. I have to ration the food I buy because of selfish SOBs buying more than they need and leaving little for the rest of us. If I catch coronavirus I doubt a bad diet will help me.

I live alone. I've also been fending off attacks from the prince of darkness for nearly three months so he is the only company I have unfortunately.

Go ahead and think me mad people. I've heard members laughter at others belief in the devil. I don't believe in him. I know he exists because he's been attacking me and using my fears against me since the new year after giving me PTSD and enhancing my OCD nearly six years ago. Distractions help with him but I'm alone in isolation so I guess he picked the right time to come back.

Eva, you're doing a great job helping all those people. I'm glad your state is one of the safer ones, and hope you stay well.

Jim, I'm sorry you're having a bad time. I too am in total isolation (not even going to chemist or supermarket), so know how hard it is. Hope you can find enough distractions to keep yourself in a better state of mind.

I think it's inevitable in isolation that there are some bad days, and sometimes for no apparent reason. I think all we can do is realise that a bad day will pass, and that those of us at high risk are doing this for a very good reason, i.e. staying alive. It's going to be a very long haul, so it's important to keep that goal in mind, and be patient. One day this will be over, and those of us completely isolated now will enjoy the rewards of all our struggles. Anyone who feels they're not getting the support they need is welcome to message me, any time. Nobody needs to feel alone.

I'm only venturing out to the chemist and the supermarket. I have to ration the food I buy because of selfish SOBs buying more than they need and leaving little for the rest of us. If I catch coronavirus I doubt a bad diet will help me.

I live alone. I've also been fending off attacks from the prince of darkness for nearly three months so he is the only company I have unfortunately.

Go ahead and think me mad people. I've heard members laughter at others belief in the devil. I don't believe in him. I know he exists because he's been attacking me and using my fears against me since the new year after giving me PTSD and enhancing my OCD nearly six years ago. Distractions help with him but I'm alone in isolation so I guess he picked the right time to come back.
Hi Jim78,
this is so awful, have you tried praying and asking for help? I use to have visits too from not so good heart beings, but it was because I too had not closed my walls (spiritual walls), even got burn/blue marks and feeling at times as if I was being burn at from different parts of the body, sometimes it would show and sometimes not. I did not quit asking for help and today nothing happens around here, and I don't see dark shadows beings or anything else. I just kept doing it til it went away. I agree, there are those who shop in such a selfish way when they don't need to, too bad we have it in our society to be so selfish. I was at the supermarket and saw a family wanting to take a selfie right in front of their much overloaded cart. That to me says it all. Please, don't give up. I hope you will feel better soon.

Best Wishes

Li La

Hi Speedwell,

Well, I had hoped for something that was a bit more helpful and less dismissive. However, I guess that is what I get for using a common "catch phrase". So, my bad.

Anyhow, the point is that the things that I am speaking about or wish to speak about all involve "polities"--and the impact of pandemics now and in the future on their management, outlook and actions. Discussion of "polities", whether they are international, national, province/state, county/parish, city/village, district, etc. necessarily is "political" as it involves "polities". When involved in such discussions, one may seek to be non-partisan, but it is very hard to discuss something like probable future changes to border policy and/or international trade and travel without stepping on someone's partisan toes.

Yet, we see such things happening at the present moment with the closing of borders by numerous countries, restriction of international (and even national) travel, etc. etc. How much of this is going to be permanent? What are the other possibilities? These are some of the many questions that arise.

Cordially,
S&S

I’ve suffered with agoraphobia and it’s co-partner isolation since I was a teen so I’m no stranger to this way of living. Thanks to my past life, isolation and imprisonment is something that follows me around. Actually, past couple of years I’ve been conquering my agoraphobia and slowly been doing more to step outside my boundaries and now this comes along... ironic.

How I cope- distraction is a good method, doing things I like. Try and keep a routine, exercise and set goals. I am lucky to have a good plot of land on my property which I’m digging for victory this year. Also, keeping in contact online with people helps fulfil some of that isolated feeling. Finally, you have to change your mentality about isolation and switch it from being a bad thing to a good thing. Think of it as time out to think, meditate and understand greater things about life and yourself. Use it to re-evaluate where you are and where you want to go so that when life becomes busy again you might have a new perspective. Advice from my past self.. part of keeping sane as a prisoner of war was dreaming and planning about what I wanted to do when I got out of prison, planning my ‘dream’ life and confronting the ‘sins’ of my life but also all the good things, the depth of love I felt for my family, my kids, my brother. Revisiting childhood memories, they became very vivid when alone and in isolation. I also forged a connection to ‘God’ in a way I’d never done in that life despite being bought up in that.

Just some ideas. I think this crises will help a lot of us reevaluate where we are and where we are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back