• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Is consciousness produced by the brain?

I feel the need to explain my purpose in including that anti-reincarnation video.

With due respect to Occam and his single sharp-bladed razor, I’ll take the electric-razor approach that is a bit broader.

What this man is explaining, IMHO, is the same process used by almost all salespeople and politicians, let me explain.

They take a bit of obvious truth and build upon that as the foundation of what follows, this is the first “sleight-of-hand”. Then they repeat it until it becomes “common knowledge” and bullying your senses setting your conscious and subconscious minds in opposition with each other.

This process has a name, it is a common name, Hypnosis. So, how did it feel to be hypnotized by that video? Notice how similar this is to a stage-hypnotist that dis-respects his subjects by having them flap their “chicken-wings”. I think that even he doesn’t recognize what he is doing. It is only obvious, I suppose, to people familiar with hypnosis. Do not allow this to keep you from seeking hypnotherapy, just be aware that you need one that is worthy of your trust.

His second video exposes his true “proofs”, or second sleight-of-hand, of what he is doing. He is proving that hypnotism works and that with enough dis-belief a person can cast enough doubt to influence you into doubting the abilities that you have that he or she doesn’t have.

I spoke of this in another thread years ago where a friend of mine made me unable to dowse when I was trying to show him how to do it, his dis-belief was stronger than my ability to relax and perform as normal. This is what those among us have to overcome to Prove that reincarnation is true, and why I see it as being impossible!

Is that what people call EVIL?

There is a very good videos (46 minutes long) about this that you CAN watch, but it will make you harder to be hypnotized in the future so be careful.

That's a very interesting point. He is using hypnosis in his attempt to convince people hypnosis is not real. Hypnosis is also used in the conditioning of children and in the repeated reading of religious writings. The video is very interesting. I'd like your take on what's going on in this man's presentation.

Last edited:
I could not get out of bed fast enough this morning to post after realizing that most people were not in a position to see through his smoke-screen. I hope that you also take note of this in the talking-head BS that is reported in the various media, political PACs, and universities.

I'm at a point in my life where some things are fitting together without a force-fit, and this thread about consciousness is relevent. I also found an analogy that fits my belief better than ones I have heard before.

The analogy is seeing a mountain as representing God, boulders as Souls, chips off of the boulder as Aspects/Personalities, and then sand, and dust being still more Aspects. Then after being mixed together and experiencing much pressure, we rejoin God by becoming stone again.

I've changed my mind about the hypnosis videos, I think they are important enough that everyone should be aware of how easy it is to be hypnotized, especially at election times if you have a strong belief either way.

I'll point to a video showing hypnosis being taught to some CEOs to help you understand hypnosis is so common that you are actually hypnotized about 70% of each day. An example is when driving and not remembering haven gone through a particular intersection.

I've watched about six of this man's video's, he does about the same thing in each one. This one has a Ken as the "subject", so I thought it would be appropiate.

I got so focussed on the video that forgot about Conscienceness; an example in itself.

In the annalogy that I gave, the Soul and Aspect being chipped off would be aware, the other chips, not as much. It is more like a perspective.

Think of a wheel on a car or bike. From the vehicle's perspective, the wheel is going around in a continuous RPM. From the roadway's perspective, the wheel is stopped at the point of contact and going twice as fast at a point above the center/axle.

I like the wheel analogy. I agree it's very important to understand hypnosis. I also believe people spend much of their time under the influence of more powerful minds without being aware of it. Watching the way society is changing, the way people are beginning to behave and think is an alarming example.
In the hypnosis videos I wonder if the guy doing the exhibit has help or not.

As he demonstrated how to relax and hypnotize themselves. The experience of holding on to to things without realizing it, or the Red Bird thing I spoke of somewhere else, where the harder you try to do something, or not to do something, the harder it gets.

What I personally wanted to show was how easily we get hypnotized and that it can be done by anyone AND HOW TO IDENTIFY IT WHEN IT IS HAPPENING TO YOU.

I was thinking last night about the "forces" that allow downers to perform. They are the same as those that influence water to spiral down a sink-drain either clockwise or counter-clockwise depending which latitude we see it.

Regarding water spiralling clockwise or anticlockwise, that is known as the Coriolis Effect. It comes down to conservation of momentum - essentially as described by Newton's laws of motion.
At smaller scales, for example water exiting a bathtub, it has been said that these forces are relatively tiny and easily overwhelmed by other factors, such as the shape of the plug-hole for example.

I'm not sure I get the connection with dowsing though. (I guess that was "dowsers", rather than "downers".)

Yes, trying to type on my phone while my wife is expressing emotions about my eggs getting cold does lead to badly spelled words and obserd wording.

The tie that I wanted to make was that dowsers can balance their muscle tensions, gravitational effects on bent wires, the energy of bent tree-branches, etc. to the point that such subtle forces un-balence them. Quite easy to learn to do, the problem being that if put to the TEST causes the dowser to get tense and unable to perform. That is what happened in the video that provided the "Truth" the neigh-sayer used in his video of the person being unable to perform for him in my opinion.

I'm at a point in my life where some things are fitting together without a force-fit, and this thread about consciousness is relevent. I also found an analogy that fits my belief better than ones I have heard before.

The analogy is seeing a mountain as representing God, boulders as Souls, chips off of the boulder as Aspects/Personalities, and then sand, and dust being still more Aspects. Then after being mixed together and experiencing much pressure, we rejoin God by becoming stone again.

I've changed my mind about the hypnosis videos, I think they are important enough that everyone should be aware of how easy it is to be hypnotized, especially at election times if you have a strong belief either way.

I'll point to a video showing hypnosis being taught to some CEOs to help you understand hypnosis is so common that you are actually hypnotized about 70% of each day. An example is when driving and not remembering haven gone through a particular intersection.

I've watched about six of this man's video's, he does about the same thing in each one. This one has a Ken as the "subject", so I thought it would be appropiate.

I hope the guy who was taught to count backwards to hypnotise himself later was told to sit down before he did it.l And told how to come out of it!

I love to tell a story about Milton Erickson. He once attended a hypnotic stage-show where the hypnotist was abusive to the subject, she refused to come out of her trance, to defy his instruction. Milton was asked to intervein. He went on-stage and whispered in her ear, turned away and returned to his seat and sat down.

After another few minutes, she miraculsly got up and walked off the stage, ignoring the hypnotist near her on-stage. Milton was later asked what he whispered in her ear. He simply asked her "when did you last use the toilet?"

How powerful is the simple offer of a suggestion?

It is powerful, particularly when in a different state of consciousness. I like that you use dowsing, I have also done it and do not believe it to be the use of power. Someday, and possibly soon, quantum physics will be able to explain why it works. The use of certain types of wood sticks is prescribed however I was shown how with straightened coat hangers. For practice I was able to find a buried water line and compare my results to a blue print drawing of the house and property. I was right on the money. Of course there's some sort of energy flow associated with the water that moves the rods to align themselves with it. It's simply science we haven't defined yet. I believe the same is true of hypnosis.
The act of putting someone in a different state of awareness is not accomplished by pulling on their arm or swinging a pendulum before their eyes. This is the "magic" part. The slight of hand bit to give the observer something to focus on and question. The way it's done is through the exertion of power. By the correct manipulation of the subjects chi. This probably isn't being done by the man on the stage doing the exhibition.

Last edited:
Absolutely, IMHO, as I did as you described with coat-hanger wire as you did. My sister's first husband showed me how to do it when I was about twelve years old. I showed my daughters how to do it and some friends. I'm not understanding your statement about it not being the man on the stage.

I read last week, that a company was moving to my "home" town that builds/sells equipment that detects pipes, wires, and voids under-ground. So, I see that the process is being both understood and manufactured.

That is where it turns paranormal in my opinion. Edgar Cayce did that and I have read of others. Cayce went bankrupt if I recall correctly - or did I read about it, or was it simply a memory from another time?

Absolutely, IMHO, as I did as you described with coat-hanger wire as you did. My sister's first husband showed me how to do it when I was about twelve years old. I showed my daughters how to do it and some friends. I'm not understanding your statement about it not being the man on the stage.

I read last week, that a company was moving to my "home" town that builds/sells equipment that detects pipes, wires, and voids under-ground. So, I see that the process is being both understood and manufactured.

The guy on the stage is putting on the show. To put the people in a hypnotic state requires the manipulation of their energy which requires focus. Someone else in the room is doing that part, either a plant ( someone in the audience ) or this guy's guide.

Woah there 4d, I think that you are carrying that too far back. Anyone can hypnotize anyone, even animals, spiders, and snakes like cobra's use hypnosis.

Simply SOMETHING'S INTENTION OF FOCUSING ATTENTION, nothing beyond that. You can do it to yourself, so it is a matter of consciousness.

Yeah that's true. But to hypnotize yourself you alter your own state of conscious through meditation. Now imagine putting someone else's mind in that state. That's not an easy thing. If you gain their cooperation somehow, say with the swinging watch, they sort of meditate themselves into that state you simply help. But what about someone who doesn't expect it or doesn't want it?

I was thinking more about trees. And ocean waves that lead to relaxation and deeper thoughts, or the driving example that I started with

Milton Erickson often hypnotized people by just shaking their hand, you can do it yourself. The next time you shake someone's hand, hold it for an extra few seconds afterward and observe.

I am new in this forum and I was just wondering if there is any new clues about this question. I would love to know if there is any advances in finding out if consciousness is created in the brain or is something it's been proven by science yet?

I would like you insight into how that would affect what we believe about reincarnation.

Thanks!!

personally i think consciousness mind is strickly related to physical brain and body, and unconsciousness mind to astral-mental body. i guess that the "underworld" state of mind is like a lucid dream. on my life i risked to die various time, i never experimented strickly OBE or NDE things. my mothers nothing, too. just a time, the "tunnel of light" vision, but nothing of very significative. the most i had on my life are just some visions, some lucid open eyes dreams and a lot of visions, lucid oniric dreams and hypnagogic states.
that's all.
so i guess that is the individual consciousness , and the universal, collective unconsciousness, but that are just my personal convitions based of my NOT-experiences about that.
i have some prebirth memory and reminescences that i ever had, that i guess are linked to pasted life: some related to paleolithic, some other to the end of 1800, first 1900 with a jungle explorer (seems that i am strickly connected with the figure of percy fawcett, explorer of amazzonic forest disapperared into nothing searching the city of Z, also astrologically i see that his north node fall close to my sun and his sun to my imum coeli). and some other things related to middle age, but i not know if i was artisan, scholar or wizard, or all the 3 things. i just "feel" myself resonating to byzantine empire into same way, but i not know why.the character that have so strong resonating with me is a byzantine phylosopher of 500 a.D called philematio ceionio, but i not know why. it's also possible that is simply, on that case, genetical memory. about fawcett insted, is memory is perfectly upon my imum coeli, so i am connected to him into some way, seems i am connected to his "intelligent spirit", mostly of all. is also strange that fawcett had a brother that was a teosophic and a adventure tales writer, and other strange things, like the common names of his mother to my mother and of his wife with a my aunt.
clear.png

well, That's all.

so i not know if the mind can truly exist without the body, but i am pretty sures that minds can be connected into some way over the space and time, maybe quanstic soul entaglement can be an explanation about "reincarnation" phenomenon.

tha't all IMHO, however. talking scientifically, i have not sufficient data or experience for tell what's the true. just feelings and strange remembers.

Last edited:
I am new in this forum and I was just wondering if there is any new clues about this question. I would love to know if there is any advances in finding out if consciousness is created in the brain or is something it's been proven by science yet?

I would like you insight into how that would affect what we believe about reincarnation.

Thanks!!
This is the way I see things at present.

The idea that consciousness is produced by the brain is simply a default position, taken for granted in much of the academic establishment. However, there is a history underlying how it became the default. There was an effort to separate science from religion. That in itself was a practical step. It meant - in some respects at least - that experimental observation could guide scientific thought, rather than for example, some ancient scriptures, or folk-tales and popular traditions. A fresh start with a blank page we might say.

However, at some point, these fresh ideas started to solidify into a new belief system. Perhaps this is the human condition, to start off with great ideals and hopes. But after a while, things settle into a rhythm, a routine, what was fresh and had a sense of exploration, began to solidify into a strait-jacket, obstructing exploration.

At least that's how I'd summarise the position of science with respect to consciousness. One where to even suggest that it might not be produced by the brain is a new heresy.

But let's be practical. All the time, individual people are, here and there, having unusual experiences which make them question everything they have been taught. Take for example the experience related here:

https://www.petercummingsmd.com/nde

These things just won't stop happening. Like a thorn in the side, different people keep reporting their own experiences, some of them in prominent positions in society. Sometimes they keep quiet, for the sake of keeping their reputation or career and livelihood intact. But people are different. Not everyone remains silent. Little by little there are chinks of light appearing.

That is, in my view, there won't be one sudden big discovery to turn the tide. Instead, lots of smaller ones, distributed across all strata of society. Lots of little events, able to be ignored if there was just one, but when there are many, over a prolonged period of time, it could cause a re-think and a rewriting of the textbooks.

personally i think consciousness mind is strickly related to physical brain and body, and unconsciousness mind to astral-mental body. i guess that the "underworld" state of mind is like a lucid dream. on my life i risked to die various time, i never experimented strickly OBE or NDE things. my mothers nothing, too. just a time, the "tunnel of light" vision, but nothing of very significative. the most i had on my life are just some visions, some lucid open eyes dreams and a lot of visions, lucid oniric dreams and hypnagogic states.
that's all.
so i guess that is the individual consciousness , and the universal, collective unconsciousness, but that are just my personal convitions based of my NOT-experiences about that.
i have some prebirth memory and reminescences that i ever had, that i guess are linked to pasted life: some related to paleolithic, some other to the end of 1800, first 1900 with a jungle explorer (seems that i am strickly connected with the figure of percy fawcett, explorer of amazzonic forest disapperared into nothing searching the city of Z, also astrologically i see that his north node fall close to my sun and his sun to my imum coeli). and some other things related to middle age, but i not know if i was artisan, scholar or wizard, or all the 3 things. i just "feel" myself resonating to byzantine empire into same way, but i not know why.the character that have so strong resonating with me is a byzantine phylosopher of 500 a.D called philematio ceionio, but i not know why. it's also possible that is simply, on that case, genetical memory. about fawcett insted, is memory is perfectly upon my imum coeli, so i am connected to him into some way, seems i am connected to his "intelligent spirit", mostly of all. is also strange that fawcett had a brother that was a teosophic and a adventure tales writer, and other strange things, like the common names of his mother to my mother and of his wife with a my aunt.
clear.png

well, That's all.

so i not know if the mind can truly exist without the body, but i am pretty sures that minds can be connected into some way over the space and time, maybe quanstic soul entaglement can be an explanation about "reincarnation" phenomenon.

tha't all IMHO, however. talking scientifically, i have not sufficient data or experience for tell what's the true. just feelings and strange remembers.

Thank you for sharing. One question, what is IMHO?

The idea that consciousness is produced by the brain is simply a default position, taken for granted in much of the academic establishment. However, there is a history underlying how it became the default. There was an effort to separate science from religion. That in itself was a practical step. It meant - in some respects at least - that experimental observation could guide scientific thought, rather than for example, some ancient scriptures, or folk-tales and popular traditions. A fresh start with a blank page we might say.

However, at some point, these fresh ideas started to solidify into a new belief system. Perhaps this is the human condition, to start off with great ideals and hopes. But after a while, things settle into a rhythm, a routine, what was fresh and had a sense of exploration, began to solidify into a strait-jacket, obstructing exploration.

At least that's how I'd summarise the position of science with respect to consciousness. One where to even suggest that it might not be produced by the brain is a new heresy.

But let's be practical. All the time, individual people are, here and there, having unusual experiences which make them question everything they have been taught. Take for example the experience related here:

These things just won't stop happening. Like a thorn in the side, different people keep reporting their own experiences, some of them in prominent positions in society. Sometimes they keep quiet, for the sake of keeping their reputation or career and livelihood intact. But people are different. Not everyone remains silent. Little by little there are chinks of light appearing.

That is, in my view, there won't be one sudden big discovery to turn the tide. Instead, lots of smaller ones, distributed across all strata of society. Lots of little events, able to be ignored if there was just one, but when there are many, over a prolonged period of time, it could cause a re-think and a rewriting of the textbooks.

I understand this position and I share it to some extent when it comes to how society and stablishments in different areas are right now, but isn't science is evidence based. It wouldn't be assumed if it hadn't been proved right?

I don't even have my own past life memories. I am interested in the topic becuase the fact that people can verify their memories sounds very compelling to me, as in it proves that it happened as the person remembered. I cannot understand how if they are a product of our imagination they can be accurate historically and proved with data.

I understand this position and I share it to some extent when it comes to how society and stablishments in different areas are right now, but isn't science is evidence based. It wouldn't be assumed if it hadn't been proved right?

I don't even have my own past life memories. I am interested in the topic becuase the fact that people can verify their memories sounds very compelling to me, as in it proves that it happened as the person remembered. I cannot understand how if they are a product of our imagination they can be accurate historically and proved with data.
I don't think science deals in proof. Mathematics has its proofs, but these are more abstract, based in axioms and rules from which can be demonstrated conclusions.

Science is supposed to start with observation, then various hypotheses may be put forward to explain them. Next some predictions are made from the hypothesis, and experiments are done to see how well the predictions match the measured results. As such, science is never complete, a hypothesis only stands for a while, until something better is found and the old is superceded or discarded.

Where does consciousness fit into all of this? Well, frankly it doesn't. Consciousness cannot be seen or touched, it cannot be measured. How then could any experiments be done and what measurements would be made? There are none.

Realising this quandary, sometimes correlations are observed instead. A correlation is something associated with whatever it is we are trying to observe. But it would be a mistake to presume that the correlation is the cause of the phenomenon. Correlation is not causation.

As for past lives, yes there are all sorts of verified cases where a person recalls things which are not mere fantasy or imagination, but match the real world. It's a big topic which I'm not attempting to detail here.

As for past lives, yes there are all sorts of verified cases where a person recalls things which are not mere fantasy or imagination, but match the real world. It's a big topic which I'm not attempting to detail here.

Do you remember any past lives? I'm not sure what you meant. I know PLs is a very extense topic but do you think that the fact that people can verify memories is a good proof that they were that person? I am genuinely curious about what people think about that. I would like to try and recall some PL memories myself but until then I can't really talk about it from my own point of view.

sorry for late of answer, i was a lot busy.
first off:
Thank you for sharing. One question, what is IMHO?
is aacronym to indicate "according to the humble opinion". sometimes it is used when expressing one's own opinion, rather than a concrete fact based on solid evidence, precisely to make it clear that what is said should not be taken too seriously because, in this case, it is my subjective vision of things. it is based on my experiences, but everyone has their own. and what I say does not necessarily correspond objectively to reality. I can say that in my life I have fainted twice. the first I drowned when I was five ... and in the minutes of unconsciousness in which I was rescued I saw nothing. absolutely nothing. only nothingness and emptiness. the second concerns a collapse that I had following a bad anemia where I had to have transfusions. in that state I had no NDE or OBE, I simply couldn't stay awake, I couldn't keep my eyes open, I couldn't even think straight, process thoughts. I was in a state of total mental confusion where in my closed eyelids I saw a swirl of colored flashes, swirls and jumble, almost as if I had had a brain short. the mystical experiences of my life are all based on deja vu, reminiscent intuitions, memories and lucid dreams. I have never had experiences like OBE, NDE, apparitions, etc, so I can only give credit to people, and analyze opinions and facts. I do not deny that these phenomena may exist, but personally I am still very conflicted about the true nature of NDEs and OBEs. The point is that no one has ever really returned from death, these are people who were saved at the last minute and who had cardiorespiratory arrests or very long surgery, trauma and states of coma and near death that lasted even an hour or more. no one has ever been brought back to life within days or weeks of death by current resuscitation techniques, which are useless if they are not performed promptly. therefore these data are insufficient, there are no testimonies of 100% dead people who can describe in detail the afterlife. there is regressive hypnosis, there are the trance states of the mystics, but how can they be interpreted? if I reason coldly, having ascertained the good faith of the witnesses, I can think that they are lucid dreams, self-suggestion, altered mental states or fantasies of the unconscious. to the limit of extrasensory perceptions or contacts with other spirits, to the limit, why not? dormant and unknown powers and abilities of the human mind. but all this always concerns living subjects. Forgive my skepticism. The fact is I want to investigate these matters as objectively and logically as possible. Occam's razor means that an unlikely or metaphysical hypothesis must be considered only when all other material and physical explanations have been absolutely discarded. Same thing applies to the use of Popperian falsificationism. So I'm sorry for my skepticism. I am more than willing to accept the existence of the soul, OBE, NDE, reincarnation, etc, too, and I am delighted, but I need concrete evidence to examine.

Yes, is for all that little testimoniance that i am too pretty that there is very much again to discover about human mind and human soul.
at the end, is not much different respect of investigation about ufology and abduction, i'm pretty sure that's something of true about that phenomenom cause can't be wrong or crazy milions of peoples.
If someone can provide me a nice amount of data-testimoniances i will be very pleased :3

that's a very interesting point of view.
you right too about modern science cause is a business, not research. a business with dogmas. i want to start with an open minded approach without prejudices and i am trying to search about proof and testimoniance. there are a lot of things i reading into the years, but are not again sufficient for me. i am searching mostly about:
- scientifical research about OBE, NDE, nature of mind etc.
- PL memories with fact checked, not just deja vu, or vision or affermations, also if i found truely fascinating my own visions.
Do you remember any past lives? I'm not sure what you meant. I know PLs is a very extense topic but do you think that the fact that people can verify memories is a good proof that they were that person? I am genuinely curious about what people think about that. I would like to try and recall some PL memories myself but until then I can't really talk about it from my own point of view.

i am also curious about PL experience of speedwell.
about me, i remember 4 different scenarios PL.
1 - stone age savannah.
2 - byzantium
3 - jungle expericence
4 - prebirth scene into a black space with spark lights, talking with a voice.
about point 4 , is the most lucid for me. point 1 and 3 are memory of my childhood that i understood and elaborate after the age of 4-5 years. but i am not sure about it or if they are just my childhood imagination. also if i discovered that is really happened something about jungle stuff, studying explorators of the end of XIX centuries.
about the point 2, is a vision-deja vu that i had listening a song some years ago, for some years i was obsessed to find information about an ancient phylosopher of byzantine age but i again i havent' found nothing.just some poor informations, i see only that really existed into the council of Nicea a noble called "philematious" that was minister of the treasury and count of the imperial harem. but that is all i discovered.

about all the other things, are based about my astrologic studies.

sorry for late of answer, i was a lot busy.
first off:

is aacronym to indicate "according to the humble opinion". sometimes it is used when expressing one's own opinion, rather than a concrete fact based on solid evidence, precisely to make it clear that

Thank you for your insight and also everyone who has answered. I am also skeptical in this topic to be honest. Seems to clash a lot with what we know about the brain and how the universe works I guess?

I have tried to do auto hypnosis several times but I don't see anything and it makes me quute anxious or I just fall asleep.

I am not sure how it works with children either. It seems very impressive to me that they can recall all these very specific events at such young age... I have also noticed that in some cases they recall reincarnating in the same town or even the same family but other peopl remember lives in different countries. Could that be imagination?

Back