• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Where do you "belong"?

Count Me In!

From the time I was a tiny girl I was drawn to California. This was before I even understood that there were 50 states! I started talking about California to my family very young... just another reason for them to think me odd. I also talked about my past lives. I finally moved to California in 1955 and my only regret is that I should have moved here sooner.

I've had a lifelong fascination with Scotland too and plan to go there as soon as I can!

Bonnie

I belong to England and Germany. I also symphatize New York and Rio de Janeiro (newer been to these cities in this life).

This is an interesting thread, I hope you don't mind me reviving it! ^^

Ever since I was small I have wanted to go to Poland- now that I have discovered that I was a Polish Jew in my most recent past life, that sort of makes sense.

I also feel very drawn to Prague, though I could never call it the 'Czech Republic'. To me, it was always Czechoslovakia, which used to cause some confusion at school, when I spoke without thinking. xD

I love most of Eastern Europe- Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Russia.

The Netherlands, too, are an important place to me, I feel a strong connection there. I am American in this life, but as some others have pointed out, I don't feel very American or proud of my country. Strangely enough, though, being born in California, I do feel proud of California, and I miss it a lot.

Are there any places that bring a sort of peace- something that you feel relates to your PL, but fills you with this sense of joy? My words probably don't make much sense, as I don't really know how to describe the feeling.

But I feel that way by the beach, mostly. And the woods. I love creeks, and hills, that sort of thing. But, at the same time, I also loved "old-fashioned" parts of cities- especially cobbelstone streets. I don't know what it is about cobblestones that make me feel so happy, but when I see them on occasion I always think, 'this is how the streets ought to be'.

I lucked out in this way. I'm pretty close to where I was last time. If I jumped in the car I could be in part of my old territory in about 5 hours but the landscape is similar here. I can go outside and if I manage to block out things like power lines, roads, bridges, farms, McD's......and all that other modern stuff I can pretend for a minute I'm back to that life.

I was born and raised in Detroit Michigan where my ancestors lived as far back as 1834. In spite of the history, I never felt part of that city, and I was drawn to New England, specifically Southwestern Connecticut, and to New York where I ended up working for 20 years. I was especially drawn to towns like Greenwich, Danbury, Norwalk, Westport, etc., etc. It was here that I discovered my urge to re-live the period encompassing 1707 to 1789, and I had vivid dreams of being in New York and along the Southern coast of Connecticut, while a member of the Connecticut Continental Line regiments. However, I had a strange sense of darkness and foreboding while just across the border entering New York State from Fairfield County. Coincidentally, I discovered that that part of New York was a very dangerous place to be during the American War of Independence. Many other vivid dreams and flashbacks correlated with actual events that happened 230 years ago.

Other than that, I seem to have a strong Celtic affinity with more ancient periods of the British Isles.

Very interesting thread, thank you for reviving it Private Tucker!

I was born and raised in Italy and I live near the swiss border.

My father was born and raised in Sweden by italian parents and my mother's family came from Switzerland.

Like I explained in other posts, ever since I was a child I felt like I didn't belong to my country. I never liked anything about it, from geography to architecture, but mainly is the culture and the traditions I really don't appreciate.

I've always felt like I belonged to some english speaking country, mostly US and Australia.

My fascination with Australia started when I was really small, I was attracted to the local animals and knew a lot about them before being able to read. I even craved for a vegemite sandwich before knowing what vegemite was (it's still not available in Italy) and tried and recreated it myself using some sort of meat extract my mother used to buy to make broth...eew!! During my first trip to Australia I discovered the two jars almost look the same.

I've always loved speaking english and took advantage of any chance I had. When I was in third grade I learned all the american capitals by heart...I just wanted to know them!

Thanks to my job I get to travel a lot and I'm often in the US, I feel at home almost in every city, same goes with Australia.

My husband's family is spanish but he grew up in Melbourne...

Sorry I was long, but this is the reason why I started learning about past lives.

purple

Japan. Without a doubt.

Ever since I was a small child I've felt drawn to that country.

When I was about 12 and started really focussing on drawing, I used to be utterly captivated by scenes of ancient Asia; old pagoda buildings, gardens and suchlike, especially those from Japan.

Also, while I was growing up, I had an odd habit which both annoyed and amused my mother. I would voluntarily choose to eat sitting on the floor rather than at the table for which she jokingly remarked that I "ate like an Asian". I don't know why, but I always preferred eating that way. It felt more comfortable and natural to me than sitting at a table.

I visited Japan back in 2005 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite it being a completely foreign culture to me in this life, I felt, apropos of this thread as though I "belonged", and couldn't shake the haunting sense of familiarity the place held for me. Somehow I just "knew" I'd been there before.

I get the same feeling whenever I see old pictures or paintings from Japan as well. Interestingly though, none of the PL snippets I've had to date have been from that region, but I do feel that my past lives from there (and I do suspect there was more than just one) were from a long, long time ago.

Here in the US, I've always felt called to Florida. I don't have any past life memories living there, but I've always felt like it was my 'real' home. Outside of the US, I've always felt a very strong connection to Germany. I love almost anything related to traditional German culture.

Germany (and to a lesser extent, Denmark and Scandinavia in general). I have never been to Germany in this lifetime, and I feel this longing to 'go back' as it were, and visit the places I was in my last lifetime. My partner and I have long been planning a trip to Germany (he has been a few times, as he lived in Europe for awhile) and as it draws closer I get more and more excited. I feel that there will be places I recognize--I want to go to the city that I was born in and died in, last life. It's not that I feel that I don't belong here in the US, so much, but rather that I want to revisit places I have experienced in previous lives.

I had a life in Denmark in the Middle Ages. Ever since I was young, Denmark has fascinated me. When I was a kid, I used to turn on the travel channel just hoping that there'd be some program that involved Denmark at all. Hopefully I'll get to visit there sometime too.

Roman Republic

Ever since I was a small child, I knew that I was a Roman from the old Roman Republic. It's hard to explain, but deep inside, I have always considered myself to be a Roman who has lived in many different places, but still a Roman. The green rolling hills of ancient Rome is where my soul really wants to be.

For me, that place is Scotland. I've never felt more happy or at home than when I was traveling through the Glencoe area. My fiance said he'd never seen me quite like that before. I feel homesick for it every now and then, and it's very upsetting to me that it will be a long time before I'll be able to return.

I have always been pulled to the Pacific Northwest. And I live there now. I love it.

I remember as a 12 year old living in So Cal for the first time walking in my moccosins up in the serria nevada mountians and it felt like coming home. It must have been some sort of a turning point in this life cause when I did come back to where I was living it was like I was seeing ot of new eyes. Weird feeling.

As my username would suggest: Spain. I wouldn't mind going back to Hungary or Italy either, but I've wanted to go 'home' to Spain for more than just one lifetime.

It's weird to have such national pride for a country that I've never been to in this life. I remember one time a local store was selling bags with all kinds of different flags on them and I got really upset that there wasn't one with the Spanish flag, so I had to settle for one with the Italian flag. *Shrug* Guess I just wanted something to show how much I loved Spain...

I'm currently saving so I can go there. :)

Hmmm. Both this life and the last, I've moved around a lot (always within Europe) and had more than one nationality - and have felt I both belong and don't belong in a lot of places. When I first visited here where I currently live in West Yorks. (Northern England) I knew I'd come "home" - but there are other homes, too: I don't know why the woodlands of Germany feel different from the woodlands here, even when they have the same trees and climate, but they do - and they are "home" in a way that woods and forests here or in France aren't. And I don't know whether the sierra of Southern Spain just evokes the moors here for me, or whether they too are calling me "home". I do know what when I used to speak Spanish, people who knew me said I turned into a different person - much more confident and outgoing. I felt at home in that language (even though it wasn't my native language and I've now forgotten most of what I knew) in a way I don't feel at home in English even though I write in English professionally. It's weird - what "home" might be.

Great thread with so many interesting replies. Am glad that this thread was brought back up.

Now as for myself, it would be the Deep Rocky Mountain Wilderness with espicelly this Greater Yellowstone Country! Now for over 35 years have wandered in the what is left of the wilderness here in the west with espicelly in the Greater Yellowstone Country! And even now live here in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and I love it here!!! And for years how much have I deeply deeply deeply felt so much that I am 'Home' 'Home' Home'!!! Whenever I travel anywhere else, it just is worse it seems for myself personally it is like this Greater Yellowstone Country and it's wilderness here is the center of my personal world. I love the landscape when it is being nothing but pure wilderness .... with no roads, no buildings, no human made clutter but just the deep wilderness landscape filled with all the creatures like Grizzlies (gotta have those Grizzlies), Wolves, Eagles, Elk, the Bison (Love the Buffalo), and all. This is the way I have felt since little, just home in the Rockies! Now also Southern Utah in the canyon Country also is special to me but still it is in the Great Rocky Mountain Region. And one of my biggest sadnesses deep within me is that the greater plains is not how they once were with the buffalo being gone and it all being divided up in farms and ranches and all.

Now for myself do know exactly where this comes from, from my various Native American Past Lives and as a Mountain Man / Fur Trapper. Now some of those lives were ... as a Cheyenne, as a Mountain Shoshone (Sheepeater), as a Mountain Man, as a Anasazi - Fremont Anasazi in the canyon southwest. And as far as I am concerned, do not know what the future and future lives might bring. But just as it might be right here next to these blessed mountains and wilderness would suit me just fine and dandy!

Wishing Everyone the Best!

For me, if I lose my current job. The church seems attrating or in forestry, in these two enviroments I seem to be in a peaceful state of mind. The UK would be a nice place to live.

Not so much a particular place, but somewhere with a lot of trees. I don't know if that comes from a past life or this life, because we had a lot of woods around where I grew up and I practically lived in them. Fast forward to 1980 and living in Ohio. Husband accepted a job in Phoenix, AZ. Looking out the plane windows as I was flying in to join him, my heart sank down to my toes and I just wanted to cry. Why? No trees! I just thought, how can I live here where there aren't any trees. Fortunately, he didn't like it either, and we moved back. Years later, coming to where we are now, there were so many trees it was awesome. I remember driving down a two lane country road and thanking God for allowing me to live here. The other thing is, I hate seeing trees being cut down, and I have an issue with live Christmas trees, killed for no other reason than to decorate our home for a couple of weeks. I don't know where that one came from, because we used to have live trees when I was growing up - and most of the time we went out and chopped them down ourselves. But, there is something about trees that just calls to my soul.

Misty, do know what you are saying about trees. so don't feel alone. I also have this very same issue with regards to Christmas trees and it has been years and years since I personally have even had a Christmas Tree. As for myself, I just love old old huge old growth virgin forests.

Wishing You the Best!

I like this post to.

I think most of my lives have included England and/or Spain.

I've always felt I should be Spanish & I think I've had a connection there in quite a few lives. Whenever I go or even hear people speaking Spanish I feel at home.

Certain parts are more of a draw than others; Catalonia, Basque country, Andalucia. I just recently had the feeling of a moorish life in a veil. I think it's a much more distant life than I've remembered so far.

Like you too Mazal, Yorkshire. I lived in the Dales & loved it but have always felt at home in & around Leeds; the people, the city, the buildings. So familiar.

I now live in a village I've lived in past life & I think it's a really good place for me for now.

So I think I belong best in Yorkshire or Spain but think I might have a bit of Fance & Italy thrown in for good measure.

With these dark British winters I think I'd like to stick further south next time round. :playing::playing::playing:

I feel very homesick for Germany all the time. Like others mentioned previously, I do not feel very patriotic or proud about being American. In my heart I still feel very German. I can say though that I love living in California. I love San Francisco and San Diego. Maybe in my next life I'll be homesick for California.

kmatjhwy said:
Misty, do know what you are saying about trees. so don't feel alone. I also have this very same issue with regards to Christmas trees and it has been years and years since I personally have even had a Christmas Tree. As for myself, I just love old old huge old growth virgin forests.
Wishing You the Best!
kmatjhwy, I'm glad someone understands about trees and esp. Christmas trees. My husband thinks I'm "outside the bell curve," which I do proudly admit to being ;)

ZeonChar said:
I feel very homesick for Germany all the time. Like others mentioned previously, I do not feel very patriotic or proud about being American. In my heart I still feel very German. I can say though that I love living in California. I love San Francisco and San Diego. Maybe in my next life I'll be homesick for California.
Do you keep up with things German today? Do you speak any German? There are a lot of German videos on YouTube. You can also subscribe to the English section of

, the German broadcaster.

Zeon, I understand how you feel. I've spent the last two lifetimes in California, but I'm very drawn to the British Isles. Maybe in our next lives, we will hear that song "California Dreamin', somewhere, and miss it, too. We are all such a patchwork of our current experiences, and all the lives that came before. I think it's good to understand where the feelings come from.

I am in England and I have always felt extremely English, even though I'm mixed race. I've even been told I have the personality of an old, English man.

Argonne, we get dark here about 430. Sunrise is about 8.

The south of england prob has about 1/2 hour extra daylight.

I had a winter in glasgow & it would just be getting light as i went to work about 845. The very north of scotland it gets light about 9 & dark by 4.

It's beautiful forshort visits, especially when there"s snow but too cold & dark for me long term.

Out of interest have you had a pl in britain?

When I first went to Rome, it felt like my hometown for some completely inexplicable reasons. I've travelled a lot, so I know how I usually feel when I visit a new city or town. I might like it or be indifferent, but I will inevitably feel like a foreigner - I would look at the people walking by and wonder what it's like to live in this city. With Rome it was completely different. It felt mine, just like my current hometown. I wasn't able to go completely without a map, though.

I remember when I first went to Forum Romanum, I looked at some of the buildings and said "I haven't seen you before". I was never in Rome before.

From the potential past-life memories I've uncovered so far, I seem to have spent quite a lot of time in Britain, and particularly England, and indeed my current life is in Britain too.

When I asked about this during a meditation session once, I was given the answer that each country on Earth has a particular spiritual makeup / design / vibration and that England fits well with my particular spiritual character, in terms of being able to learn my lessons most effectively here.

Back