• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Seeking other Romans

Hi Blitzmiz and welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing with us.

Kind Regards

Kay

One of the reasons I joined the forum was to find out more about Roman memories.

I've had some really strange expriences surrounding Emperor Nero.

I don't believe I was Nero. In fact I know I was not, but I do seem to have some sense of him as a "sweet, dear" person.

I've watched several specials on Nero and of course, as an Amreican I've been exposed to those sword and sandal epics of the 1950s.

To judge from those Nero was anything BUT sweet. He was a shrill, psychotic, delusional terror of a human being!

Now for the past three or four years whenever I've watched anything about Nero I've felt so sad, and that it was so unfair that people looked upon him with such a jaundiced eye.

The capper was when I broke down in tears during a special on the Military History Channel.

Now, I really don't like to think that I am some sort of psycho who feels an affinity for history's monsters, but whatever could this be?

I only today found a biography of Nero at the library and it seems to be some sort of revisionist view of the poor lad.

Oddly, the author of this book shares my view that Nero was not a monster; skewed by a very odd way of life, yes, but not the soulless antichrist of legend.

I guess I'm hoping that I can find anyone else who remembers Emperor Nero, or possibly the young fella himself.

Oddly in my mind he's always very young, and quite endearing--as indeed he must have been to have that memory linger all these years and in the face of such a barrage of bad press.

I can only imagine it is a past life thing. Until the author of this biograhpy I'd only ever heard Nero described as a sadistic, fiddlin' freak.

Thank you so much for letting me join you.

Welcome Youagain and thanks for sharing your experience :)

It's very interesting indeed and does sound like you could have known Nero in a PL. Do you have memories of a life in Roman times?

:)

Hello Youagain

and again welcome :)

as Sunniva asked - do you remember a roman pl ?

Maybe you think of Nero as a young person because this is how you saw or met him ? - just a thought.

Clivia

Thank you for the kind greetings, Sunniva and Clivia.

I have no distinct memories of a Roman life and that is one of the reasons I hesitated coming on this site.

It's very hard to explain but for me, I don't so much have memories as I go on automatic pilot.

Please imagine, for a moment, that you, reborn about 200 years from now goes to a museum with a replicated 20th century bathroom. So, you perch on the toilet to have get your picture taken...ha-ha...but before you get up, and with an almost reflexive naturalness, you turn to your right or left and look down just below eyeline for...ummm...what? You don't know.

Toilet paper maybe?

And your first thought is, "Where the devil is the...?"

But you aren't even sure what you expected to find there, or why you were looking for anything; so you stand up and forget about it.

The only thing that would tell you that this WAS an actual sensible thing to do, in a 20th century bathroom context, would be learning that YES, we had toilet paper next to our toilets back then AND remembering your moment of dislocation back at the museum.

Not a "memory" in the common sense, but very much a sign of knowing in some odd, visceral way, what the forms and standards of another time would have been.

Admittedly the above is a very screwy example and toilets will probably not change all that much in 200 years, but just pretend they have and it all makes sense.

That however is the way my "memories" work. They aren't exactly memories, but more habits and ways of viewing and interacting with the world that seem rather eccentric until (and unless) I learn that they were quite common at some formerly unknown point in history.

Keeping that in mind my only Roman memories have been, the sense of home and rightness, the feeling of, "I could live here forever" that I get in reproductions of Ancient Roman homes.

The odd "poor sweet baby" view that I have of Nero.

A sense of looking down at my feet and KNOWING that I am in a Roman arena. I can see the dust and fine rubble at my feet. I think I kicked a piece of rock away with my foot (which was shod by the way)

A Latin class I took in which I didn't have to study but knew how to construct a sentence by the way it sounded in my head.

"No, that doesn't sound right" I would say to myself and change it in mid stream.

It was less the words, than the rhythm of the words that I just knew, and knowing that I could fake my way through class well enough to get an A!

My professor certainly thought my reading and speaking of the language was most natural, and that my accent, while NOT the one labled "Classical Latin" by the scholars made the language sound more like a language, than an inscription.

Unfortunately the thing that would make my understanding of Latin compelling would be having someone from old Rome who knew the accents of the time and could say, "Hey, you sound like someone from_____"

That would give one a true lead but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

Any other links I may have had to Roman lives (I think I had more than one, or at least a life in a Roman province) I can't place it as a Roman life. I need a regression but can't convince myself that spending money on one is as good an idea as spending it on my son's ice skating or LATIN (he's a natural too, so maybe it's just a family trait rather than a memory) lessons.

Hiya! :)

Thanks for sharing - I think it's very interesting. It sounds possible to me you lived during Nero's time, and thought positively about him - for one reason or the other. Maybe you only knew (of) him when he was young, as he's young in your "memories".

Btw - I think many of us experience past lives in the same manner you do. For example I can have "actual" memories, too, in dreams, meditations and regressions, but often I find PL knowledge hidden in my brain the same way you described, and I know it happens to most people on this forum too. :thumbsup:

You can also meditate by yourself or do self-regressions (you can buy cd's, and mp3's for that are available online) if you can't or don't want to pay a lot for a professional regression.

Since I last posted on this thread I've been able to convince myself of two Roman past lives, of which the first one took place around 200 BC and the other in the first century AD. I have only vague feelings of the latter, but if I get anything relevant - maybe even about Nero - I promise to share. :)

Karoliina

Hail to thee, YouAgain,

I enjoyed a lot what you wrote on Nero and the Roman times, for first century A.D. was my favourite period for a long time. I think Nero could really have been sweet, especially if you knew him in his childhood - that made emperor Claudius make him his heir together with his own son, Britannicus. Most of our documents of the emperors of the first century can be traced back to Suetonius (De vitae duodecim caesarum) who didn't have a good opinion on the most of them. But even he himself was not there (if not in a past life). It might be true, that Nero wasn't guilty in many misdeeds attributed to him. For example Robert Graves shows Claudius as a mixture of scientist and a wise man, and many contemporary sources have a much worse opinion in him.

I don't know how a latin sentence sounds original, but you cannot make a big mistake with the word order if it is grammatically correct - Romans didn't really care about it.

If you find out something more, I'll be pleased if you tell us about it.

Skarphedinn

Hello.

My catching this page at random must be, as Latin so easily sums, a Felix Culpa--a fortunate fault.

Because I am new here, I actually have only posted one thread, but, oddly enough, it is exactly of Roman and Grecian content. However, it was quite a lengthy post, and, reluctant as I am to try and recount what I said and share with you, it would probably be best if you went and read my thread yourself. Hopefully it is what you are looking for.

Best regards

I tend to think that all of us have been around the block a few times in every civilization, and that many things about our present existence may harken to earlier lives in the Roman Empire. It may be those very things we take for granted, like plumbing, hot baths, vacation villas and even the sense of security we enjoy as a benefit of a strong and sometimes overly expansive military and economic force in the world.

Unfortunately, however, some things may stand out as beacons to our psychic attention, which bring to our minds fear, revulsion and even a sense of guilt; for every civilization, regardless of the great progress it has bestowed upon our recorded history, has also brought with it the destruction and dissolution of other great societies along with their science, technology, language and spiritual beliefs.

The great Celtic society of Europe was one such civilization, if it can be called that; because, although it didn't have a written language as developed as Latin, nor the political unity that Rome consistently brought to bear, it had wonderfully advanced technologies and spiritual practices that were the envy of better known societies. Yet, it fell hard to the sword of Roman hegemony, and would become consigned to a few short pages of history which describe them, along with many other lost cultures, as barbarians.

Great point Nightrain about the great cultures of the past. So much has been lost... but has it? Are we carrying around the residual memories. The great influence of past Roman culture permeates modern civilization for a reason. The same could be said for all the others too. And we are living those lives in an ethereal memory through reincarnation.

Tman

I seemed to have spent one past life in the Imperial Legions of Rome. I had a vision of doing a troop review of at least an entire legion, maybe more. Lots of men. Best fit for this role was Praefectus Castrorum.

http://www.unrv.com/military/legion.php

good link for looking up everything Roman, though I had only bookmarked the military part.

Good point Nightrain!

Bad Roman

I had regressed an excellent subject back to the time of Christ...she was talking to him. She said I walked into the room and her body got stiff, she said "You're on the OTHER SIDE" (bad people).She said Yessah chuckled and said "No no, you are picking up on his LAST life time as a Roman soldier, he was indeed a VERY bad person then. He is on our side in THIS lifetime".

The last person I trained in psychic abilities I had killed in the Roman soldier life. He had been a Druid and I put a sward through his stomach.

If reincarnation is real, then there is a possibility that I was a Vestal virgin in 1 century AD who probably lived (and died?) during the eruption of Vesuvius in 79AD.

I visited Rome (in this life) several times and I had a strong feeling about the Temple of Vesta. I have always been familiar with and interested in the period of Tiberius-Nero. I also like the reign of Augustus, but when I begin to seriously study it, I realized it wasn't as familiar as the reign of Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and Nero. In fact, it wasn't familiar at all. I'm also not familiar with the beginnings of Tiberius' reign so I concluded that I was probably born sometime during his reign.

On the other hand, I'm not familiar with Colosseum so I think I died before its construction.

Also, since i was a child, i had both fascination and fear from volcanoes, especially Vesuvius. I went to Pompeii and, even though it was great seeing it, it didn't feel familiar, but the Mt Vesuvius did

It is possible that after my work as a Vestal virgin was done (it was like a job from which you retire after 30 years of work. Since Vestals were chosen among very young girls, usually about 5 years old, a Vestal would be retied at approximately age 40) I went to live somewhere near Vesuvius and was probably present during the eruption.

My roman lives are not terribly well defined but have a lasting legacy...elsewhere in this forum I have told the story of a modern day navigation of the city from the Trevi Fountain to my hotel near the Spanish Steps at around two am and heavily intoxicated...I remember watching my feet and ended up at the front of my hotel while my sober wife was freaking out until we arrived at the doorstep.

Another one is clear only so far as it took for the large cat in the coliseum to sink it's teeth into me...

Then there was the one in which I was a centurion and fell in love with a christian, faked my death and took her to the south of Gaul/France and lived a wonderful life...oddly, I get the sense that I am to meet her again at some point soon...hmm.

That is all I currently have of Rome...but there are some other vignettes of arts and sculpture which have a roman/florentine feel which I have yet to truly place so we'll see where that goes.

Does anybody have any information about a Roman emperor who had his own mother assassinated? Because I think I was the leader of the guards protecting her, I believe they were called praetorians. And we failed by the way.

I also have a memory as a barbarian (Gaul I think) ambushing a Roman platoon in a forest.

Ronon1978 said:
Does anybody have any information about a Roman emperor who had his own mother assassinated? Because I think I was the leader of the guards protecting her, I believe they were called praetorians. And we failed by the way.
I also have a memory as a barbarian (Gaul I think) ambushing a Roman platoon in a forest.
Do you have some memories of the time you were praetorian? Where did that assassination attempt take place?

Not that much. First of all I can't say with a 100% certainty that it was Nero. Therefore my question, maybe there was another who tried to kill his mother. I do remember that I knew it was coming and fighting a death squad outside a Roman villa. Being severely outnumbered and several of them breaching through and killing her with their swords.

Do you remember anything else? Like something that will help you identify the exact era. Are you familiar with any particular period of Roman history? Do you find familiar the burning of Rome, Colosseum, the eruption of Vesuvius, any particualr battle etc?

Not really no. All I know is that the emperor was a fairly young man and a bit of a psychopath. So perhaps Nero does fit the profile.

Very possible. The historical sources usually tell about Nero's failed attempt to kill his mother, when he sent her on a boat which sunk and she was supposed to drown, but she managed to somehow swim to the shore. The are many accounts on this anecdote, but the circumstances of her actual death are unclear.

it seems you've been everywhere! (usetawuz) :D lol.

It would also seem I think that this is my first western life. Im jealous of you life jumping risk takers :D

Cool. A Roman PL thread.

I figure I should probably -most definitely- add my experience here as well.

I have ALWAYS been fascinated by the Roman empire. I knew little about the emperors, until recently, when I felt compelled to borrow a book from the library about them.

I am almost certain that I lived during the reign of Caligula, though I'm honestly not sure who. The strange thing is this:

While reading a passage (it was a rather outrageous passage) aloud from said book, about Caligula, my mom went on this rant about how she "never wanted to hear that name again" and so on and so forth. Even as much as I was disgusted by what said emperor did, when my mother said that, it felt like she was talking about me. I don't know why, but it did.

Since, I have been absolutely fascinated by the reign of Caligula. A lot of what he did sounded very familiar, and some it sounded like something -unfortunately- I would do. I hate to admit it, but it does. :(

I do recall having one vision where there was a a slave and another man (who I was and still am under the impression was Caligula). The slave was on lying on the ground and was certainly terrified. He was attempting to escape but the man that was standing above him was faster than he was. The said slave was being tortured, but I don't know if he was killed. The vision cut out before I was sure.

It certainly intrigues me. I talk a lot with my cousin and my mom and friends about my past lives, but this particular subject is just not something I'd bring up. Though, as for my mothers reaction, just the way she reacted sent shivers through me. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. She talks quite a bit about how she thinks she lived when Vlad the Impaler did, the Titanic and the Holocaust. Seems to me she hasn't really had much of a good past life experience. So I'm led to believe she was a victim or relative of a victim of said emperor.

Now.......For some others as well. From a very early age I have been fascinated by Vesuvius. Though a lot of what I read was about Pompeii, Herculaneum has always captured my attention more for some reason.

That's about all I recall as of right now.

Totoro said:
it seems you've been everywhere! (usetawuz) :D lol.
It would also seem I think that this is my first western life. Im jealous of you life jumping risk takers :D
Totoro, it is kind of mind boggling when I think about it that way. Then I approach it from the endless questions I've had for my guidance; one being my numbers of lives on earth, with the answer "in excess of 4,000 but who is counting?" With a number like that in mind it is my assumption that the lucid dreams, visions, and meditations I get are all clues to past lives...provided there is an emotional content in those events. Naturally all my dreams don't have pl content, but the ones with some level of emotion, or a sense of depth and continuity have all borne fruit when I have looked further.

I have documented living four lives from 1888 to now, so at that rate I would have had plenty of opportunity to be a member of the life jumping risk takers!

I would also add that in my pl meditations each time I died I had a sense of relief...no pain or angst...just differing levels of relief and joy. If one thinks about this from a spiritual standpoint as opposed to the tragic and painful end of a human life (ie no pain or regret...only another opportunity) then why wouldn't we do this again and again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should ask that question myself! I've been told i'm very old as far as that goes..

Mainly though I meant I think I found a place and got comfortable. That also sounds like me now, although living in china right now is not that ideal, which is why I'm here, I believe. In fact, lol I'm on the other coast from you, gulf side.

As I said elsewhere, I don't "get" western culture and it's been a source of distress most of my life.

But regardless, I agree, I'm here for the thrill of living!

Roman Navy

I have no specific memories of that period either, but I have a very strong interest in the Roman Navy, which was a branch of the Roman Army. Not sure what period of time, but the period of Caesar's Civil Wars interests me the most. However, I am also interested in Roman Britain and the Roman river fleets of the later periods. I have little interest in the Roman land wars, including all three Carthaginian Wars despite much of it involving the Roman Navy.

Being in the navy meant that I was considered a second class soldier (similar to Roman auxiliary troops) and may have been Greek as few prominent Romans entered this branch of the service in the later Roman periods. Greeks were thought to be excellent sailors and were often pressed into the Roman navy as officers and marines, but so were the various coastal tribes that came under the Roman influences -- many were eager to serve. I do not feel I was born a Roman, but I may have became a Roman after serving my time in the Roman Navy (assuming I survived). And no, I did not row. I was a marine.

BTW: No naval power of this time period used slaves as rowers -- that is very much a myth made popular by the book, and later movie, Ben Her. All those who served onboard warships were freemen before joining.

Hiya Karoliina! :)

I have a book on the Romans and it says something about what happened when young men 'grew up':

(It's in Danish, so excuse my translation :) )

"The end of childhood was celebrated by a ceremony that was very important both socially and religious: the feast of Liberalia on March 17th. On this occasion the young boys would be dressed in the Toga Virilis, the Toga of an adult man, and it marked his new status as a Roman citizen. This happened at the age of 16 or 17. With the rights and duties of the citizen it was expected that the young man now would become an individual and act independently whether he was to become a farmer, lawyer, join the army or something else.

To the young men in the Roman elite everything revolved around the honour of the family and achieving a marvelous political career. For example one could begin with prosecuting one of your families enemies or shine in some other way and through that demonstrate a strong character and the prospect of success."

When I read your post I remembered reading this passage and thought it fitted well to your description. I hope it is helpful in some way.

According to the book, the sources also describe this age (16-17) as the most dangerous period since the young men would endulge in prostitutes and alcohole, which could be fatal for the above mentioned prospect of honour and success : angel

I hope I didn't write too much...I just find this so fascinating :) I get so exited when I can contribute :laugh:

hug3.gif
I did a tarot reading and it said I was a Roman emperor(maybe Julius Caesar) because I had a military leader tarot card come up. When I was 16 I was admitted to a psych ward from doing drugs and alcohol and it had an affect on my mind. That’s so interesting about the 16-17 years olds though!

I read somwhere around here that birthmarks can be any sort of previous mortal wound.
The late Dr. Ian Stevenson did a tremendous amount of research about this, and Dr. Jim Tucker has continued his research. I have a crescent of white hair on the side of my head that was the result of a fatal car accident, the white hair is in the shape of a headlight ring! Go figure.

Back